Home Theater Questions

A

aschamne

Audioholic Intern
My wife has decided that she wants a new TV, so she found the TV she wants. Since the TV is 1080p and has a HDMI input, I was able to convince her that we needed to upgrade the audio as well. So she has agreed, but after looking at what is out there I still have questions.

My budget is $3500 and I will need a receiver with 7.1 and the ability to have zone 2 play from a different source, speakers, 3 HDMI cables(2 at 3' and 1 at 6'), a sub cable(about 15'), and at the very least 120' of speaker wire for zone 2(but would like to get another 100' to just replace it all).

After looking at speakers I am having trouble figuring out which ones I like.
I can't decide if I would rather get EMPs or SVS's for the center, mains, rears and bookshelfs(for zone 2) but I really like the SVS SB-12NSD sub as it is in a sealed cabinet(which I have heard is better for music). I am open to suggestions here, but both of these setup will be between $1900 and $2000 which is about where I need the price to be.

My wife and I really like the Denon AVR-2112CI and AVR-2312CI, but is the 2312 worth the extra money or should i just get the 2112? Also the 2312 is 7.2 so would it be worth hooking up a second sub cable to it or would there be no real differance?

So after the speakers and receiver that leaves me with $500 to $1000 in order to buy my cables and wires. This is where I have no idea where to go as I have not bought cables or wires in over 10 years. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I was looking at the Audioquest chocolate HDMI cables, are they worth the money or is the better options? What about sub cables and speaker wire? I know nothing smaller that 14, but is 12 necessary?

I know I am asking a lot, but I would really like to get the most I can for my money.

BTW, the usage would be 75/25 music/TV.

One more thing, the room is 28' x 12' with an 8' ceiling, the zone 2 room is the same size but I am not as worried about filling that room with sound(anything will be better that the WallyWorld shelf radio that is in there now).

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum!

I'll let others chime in on the Denon and speaker questions, but I wanted to give some input on the cables. You do not need to spend a lot of money on cables. Most will perform exactly the same. Where to focus then is aesthetics and quality of the connectors. Aesthetics is all you (well, probably your wife :)). As for connectors, really cheap cables might have poor solder connections between the cables and the connectors, but you don't need to pay much to get good connections.

There are a lot of places to get good quality, inexpensive cable. As one example, Monoprice.com has good reviews (and I've purchased from them and been happy). Below are some sample prices from them:

As for which speaker wire gauge to get, many people here like the site linked here - it has a nice explanation and reference table for what gauge to choose.

A

aschamne

Audioholic Intern
Since I only have to spend a little over $100 on the wires, that will give me more speaker choices. So with a budget of about $2000 I need mains(can be floor standing or bookshelf), rears, center and bookshelves for zone 2. Any help would be appreciated. Or would it be better to stick with one of the other speaker systems I listed earlier and buy a better Bluray player, since my current one in a cheap LG?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
No need to overspend on BD player if you LG works fine - just keep it or if you really want upgraded one get Panasonic DMP-BDT220

Don't concentrate too much on receiver just yet - remember you should put about 75% into speakers

Speaker of speakers - you mentioned usage would be 75% music and 25% tv - Why do feel you need a 7.2 system for what? :confused:
You'd be much better off getting good 2.1 or 2.2

You first room is about 2688 ft^3 - that is not huge room and my suggestion for 2.1 system is a pair of Philharmonic 1 and Rythmic FV12 sub - add a 2nd one to help make bass more even and linear across the room

About receiver - this is really good deal for AVR which will last you a long while:
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/deals-deals-deals/79938-denon-avr-4311ci-$1209-w-free-shipping.html

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
For me the 2312 would be worth it, it has a few more options that I like, including a second subwoofer output and some second zone features like high pass filter and such, plus it has a little more power which never hurts.

Although I wouldn't buy it from a store.

Audio receivers for sale | Home theater receivers

Home Theater Receivers | Accessories4less

Take a look at these two websites they should point you in a pretty good direction.

If you're budget is $2000 after a receiver then I'd look at something like this for the main 7.1 listening area

Impression Series 7.1 Home Theater Package 2

theres also aperion audio and ascend acoustics.

I wouldn't buy their packages per se just because I'd rather get a different sub then the ones they come with, but you can see where you're heading.

If being able to audition before you buy is a big deal then I'd look to purchase a pair of bookshelves from any or all of the above companies that you can return and listen to them to see if you like how they sound and then this will give you a good idea whether you will like the other speakers from their respective lines.

If that sounds too troublesome then I would try to find a best buy magnolia near you or some speaker stores near you, and go audition some speakers. Come back and tell us what you liked about which brands and models and we can always go from there.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Your first post reads around $2000 for speakers. A reccomendation was
made how to save on cable and wire - and the budget is still $2000?

Since mainly music, I would think about 3.1 for the main system - and
get some good musical speakers. The receiver choice is yours - however,
the Denon 2312 can work fine > and there are some good prices. Also,
the Panasonic Blu-ray players, have always performed overall better for
my use, with movies and music.

A

aschamne

Audioholic Intern
The 2112 is only 7.1, the reason I was thinking about the 2312 was the extra 15 watts per channel. I need the 7.1 because I want 2 of the channels for a zone 2 and I do enjoy 5.1 for the times when I do watch movies or action shows on the TV(obviously it doesn't matter when watching the news or sitcoms).

The impression series are one of the speakers that I am considering, they would cost $1220 and then I would order the sub from SVS which would bring my price up to $1870. Add the $105 for the wires and $500 for the receiver and I am just under $2500.

I did go to best buy to listen to the receiver, I was originally looking at the AVR-1712. The 2112 sounded much better on the Energy speakers they had hooked up. Honestly the 1712 with the Energy speakers didn't sound much different than the 10 year old Onkyo Home Theater in a box that I am using now(with the exception of the sub). I do like the mid response that the Energy's had but the highs seamed weak. The sub had a nice feel to it as well but it was defiantly lacking in power.

I use to have a pair of Altec Lansing 510, those speaker had the kind of sound that I really liked. I just don't know how to explain the sound.

A

aschamne

Audioholic Intern
Your first post reads around $2000 for speakers. A reccomendation was
made how to save on cable and wire - and the budget is still $2000?

Since mainly music, I would think about 3.1 for the main system - and
get some good musical speakers. The receiver choice is yours - however,
the Denon 2312 can work fine > and there are some good prices. Also,
the Panasonic Blu-ray players, have always performed overall better for
my use, with movies and music.
No if I can save on cables and wire, then I can spend more on the speakers. My first post was $2000 for all speakers including the sub, my second post was $2000 for the speakers without the sub. Sorry for the confusion.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
For the speakers I'd consider three Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 bookshelves across the front with HTM-200SEs for surrounds. A 7.0 setup will set you back less than $1800 shipped within the US (review). For a few hundred dollars you could have the Sierra-1s upgraded with the same NrT tweeter used in their towers.
I do own a set of the NrT version and like them a lot.

Alternately their CMT-340SE is another fine choice and you can do a CMT-340SE/CBM-17SE 7.0 system for around $1500 shipped (Review). I've owned the 340s and enjoyed them. Matching stands are only $140.

I have not heard the EMP E55Ti but their reputation is good enough to earn them a place on anybody with a $2k budget's short list of candidates.

You only have 2800cuft and for the sub I'd probably go with a Rythmik FV-12 or SVS PB/PC12-NSD instead. As someone that owns 2 sealed subs I can tell you that they aren't enough better at music to make up for the their lack of low frequency impact. Plus a single or even two SB12 are likely to struggle in 2800cuft.

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
No if I can save on cables and wire, then I can spend more on the speakers. My first post was $2000 for all speakers including the sub, my second post was $2000 for the speakers without the sub. Sorry for the confusion.
I would definitely check out the EMP Impression series speakers and right now you can get their top of the line ES101i dual subs for $598 the pair normally priced at $599 for single sub. Free shipping both ways with thirty day return window, hard to beat this...
Jeff

ahblaza

ahblaza

For the speakers I'd consider three Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 bookshelves across the front with HTM-200SEs for surrounds. A 7.0 setup will set you back less than $1800 shipped within the US (review). For a few hundred dollars you could have the Sierra-1s upgraded with the same NrT tweeter used in their towers.
I do own a set of the NrT version and like them a lot.

Alternately their CMT-340SE is another fine choice and you can do a CMT-340SE/CBM-17SE 7.0 system for around $1500 shipped (Review). I've owned the 340s and enjoyed them. Matching stands are only $140.

I have not heard the EMP E55Ti but their reputation is good enough to earn them a place on anybody with a $2k budget's short list of candidates.

You only have 2800cuft and for the sub I'd probably go with a Rythmik FV-12 or SVS PB/PC12-NSD instead. As someone that owns 2 sealed subs I can tell you that they aren't enough better at music to make up for the their lack of low frequency impact. Plus a single or even two SB12 are likely to struggle in 2800cuft.
Sholl, I agree whole heartedly with the Sierra's up front and 200's in a 7.0 setup, but his receiver allocation is $500, do you think a receiver in that range could drive the Sierra's and four other speakers with decent output? I also agree with the sub choices, I would also consider the 340 SE's LCR and foor CBM-170's, real good match there. Maybe the Onkyo 809, good suggestions my friend.
Jeff

A

aschamne

Audioholic Intern
OK, my wife and I actually liked the look of the PC12-NSD, I just thought the PB12 would have been better. Also I have looked at the CMT-340 SE/CBM 170 SE, but I also like the SVS S series. Or I could do the EMP Impression series. Even though its a good deal I do not like the look of the EMP 1010i subs, so I think I will stick with the SVS sub.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
OK, my wife and I actually liked the look of the PC12-NSD, I just thought the PB12 would have been better. Also I have looked at the CMT-340 SE/CBM 170 SE, but I also like the SVS S series. Or I could do the EMP Impression series. Even though its a good deal I do not like the look of the EMP 1010i subs, so I think I will stick with the SVS sub.
Yes I agree, you do not need to brand match the subs. I would aim
for SVS, Rythmik, HSU, or Epik subs.
Also, you can test part of a speaker package, with just a trial test
of a pair of bookshelves - then finish up with the rest, if you find
that you them.
Also on the retail side, Monitor Audio, Focal and KEF do make good
speakers, with good mids and highs. And, check over at the Nhthifi
website - they have some speakers and package deals on sale.

Last edited:
A

aschamne

Audioholic Intern
Sholl, I agree whole heartedly with the Sierra's up front and 200's in a 7.0 setup, but his receiver allocation is $500, do you think a receiver in that range could drive the Sierra's and four other speakers with decent output? I also agree with the sub choices, I would also consider the 340 SE's LCR and foor CBM-170's, real good match there. Maybe the Onkyo 809, good suggestions my friend.
Jeff
The reason I said $500 for the receiver is that is about the price I can get a Denon 2312 for, and it has 105 watts per channel output. Although I do see the Onkyo TX-NR809 is 135 watts per channel, and I can get that one for about $650. So many choices, I came here to narrow them down, not expand them:D.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Jeff
He could try it with a 709 and if necessary add a 3 channel amp down the road. The 709's preouts make that easy on everything but his wallet ;). I don't think a 709 on it's own would have any trouble driving 5.1 and ran my Sierra-1 anchored 5.1 bedroom system off a 707 for a couple of years, it just depends on how far away he's sitting. I also cross mine over to the sub at 70hz easing the load on the receiver a bit. The key will be distance. If he can take that $200 saving from the speaker budget and put it toward an 809 it's probably a good idea though.

On the other hand the 340s are an easier load.

A

aschamne

Audioholic Intern
After talking it over with my wife, we have finally decided what we want to do. We are going to get the Onkyo TX-NR809, the SVS PC12-NSD, 3 Ascend CMT-340 SE, a pair of the stands for the mains, and 4 Ascend CBM-170 SE.

Should I order the Omnimounts for the speakers that will go into zone 2, or is there a bracket that you recommend? Also, I need stands for the surrounds in the main room, any recommendations there?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
After talking it over with my wife, we have finally decided what we want to do. We are going to get the Onkyo TX-NR809, the SVS PC12-NSD, 3 Ascend CMT-340 SE, a pair of the stands for the mains, and 4 Ascend CBM-170 SE.

Should I order the Omnimounts for the speakers that will go into zone 2, or is there a bracket that you recommend? Also, I need stands for the surrounds in the main room, any recommendations there?
Look here - however, I would get my cables from Monoprice or RadioShack
Accessories

ahblaza

ahblaza

Excellent choice aschamnne, I have this system and could not be happier, (well maybe with the Sierra Towers), the 809 will have no trouble driving this setup, could you mount the 170's in your main room using the omnimount 20, the 170 is suggested to be placed about six feet high and angled towards listening area, the mount is designed exclusively for the 170 and 200, I have the 170's on stands as side surrounds on stands that I built which places them about 45" high with very good results. You could do that in your main room and use the mounts in zone two. Or use the mounts in both rooms if possible. Audio Advisor always has stands on sale in various heights under Clearance or Demo section. Whatever you decide it will be good.
Jeff

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja

I think you'll be happy with your choice. Your next step is to read the Tip & Tricks section from the main Audioholics site. There is good information there on setting up and calibrating your system and optimizing bass.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis