Home theater question

D

dudo670

Audiophyte
I currently have the Onyko HT-S3500 HTIB system. While it is a ok entry level system, I have a Samsung HT-X50 HTIB system that I could buy in good condition for $20. The Onkyo receiver I have currently has 110 watts/channel of output (660 total. The max input power for the speakers is 120 watts for the 5 speakers and 130 watts for the subwoofer. and the sensitivity for the front/center/surround speakers is 80db/W/m, while the sensitivity for the subwoofer is 83db/watt.

On the other hand, the Samsung system is a 1000 watt system with max inputs for each of the speakers rated over 300 watts and the sensitivity for each speaker is rated at 86db/W/m.

So, based on the specs, I would expect the Samsung system to be a lot louder at a given wattage than the Onkyo system, and since the system overall can use more wattage, I would expect it to be a lot louder overall. Am I correct to assume this? I am not really sure how to judge sound quality other than reading reviews.

In addition, would my Onkyo HT-R391 be strong enough to power either the Klipsch R-15m or, if I decided to splurge, the Klipsch RP-160m? I would be primarily using these for music listening so I wouldn't be too concerned about the Klipsch speakers overpowering the other speakers.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Welcome to AH.

For your info, the Samsung is advertised as a 1000 watt system but it is far from producing that sort of power. The total power rating is 166 watts for the 5 channels which would mean about 30-35 watts continuously for one or two channels operating only. Manufacturers more than often inflate power ratings which is mainly marketing bullshit. Manufacturers which publish conservative specs represent a minor percentage nowadays.

Keep your Onkyo which would have the adequate power to drive your speakers.

The Klipsch speakers have a high sensitivity of over 90db with 1 watt input at 8 ohms at listening distance of 1 meter. You shouldn't worry, as your Onkyo system should have enough power to drive them. However, It has only about double the power output of the Samsung, an increase of around 3 to 4dB.

Should you want more powerful sound, your next step would be to get a system with separate AV receiver using your Klipsch speakers and completing with additional Klipsch products, except for the subwoofer depending on your budget.

One receiver to recommend is https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrs720w/denon-avr-s720w-7.2-ch-x-75-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

It is a refurbished AV receiver that has a manufacturer's one year warranty. It has a future proof 7 channel operating possibility and several other features. At $199.99, it's an excellent deal and Accessories4 Less has a good reputation as a dealer and one of the rare ones to sell factory waranteed refurbished products. With that AVR, you should have ample power to drive the Klipsch speakers, unless your listening position is far from the speakers and you like listening at very high sound pressure levels.

Last edited:
D

dudo670

Audiophyte
Thanks. Appreciate the response. Didn't realize that when it says 166 watts for the five channels it meant 166/5, not 166*5. Although you say "it has only about double the power output of the samsung" holding all else equal wouldn't that mean it can produce twice the volume at a given sensitivity?

Overall, I'm a college student who loves music/wants to start getting better speakers but dealing with a college budget is difficult considering the price that is required to get really good sounding speakers.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks. Appreciate the response. Didn't realize that when it says 166 watts for the five channels it meant 166/5, not 166*5. Although you say "it has only about double the power output of the samsung" holding all else equal wouldn't that mean it can produce twice the volume at a given sensitivity?

Overall, I'm a college student who loves music/wants to start getting better speakers but dealing with a college budget is difficult considering the price that is required to get really good sounding speakers.
To get twice the appreciated volume heard, you need at least 8 times (9dB more) of the original power output from an amplifier.

I suggest that you be patient and save money until you can afford a more decent system. The speakers are always the weakest link in a sound system and that is where you should put more money and notice improvement. On electronics, after a certain outlay, performance improvement is rather marginal, if any. In the meantime, it would not be a bad idea to read books on audio and sound reproduction.

My System: https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/my-7-channel-system.111234/

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Use one of these to better approximate spl with given power/speakers....http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

Usually the Onkyo HTIB setups have a decent receiver. Using more sensitive/efficient speakers would be one way to go in terms of upgrading with the current avr in the Onkyo....Samsung audio I generally wouldn't bother with.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
Keep the onkyo htib receiver, they are fairly decent. The Rp-160m are great speakers for both movies and music, and are about 90dB 1w/1m as measured by @Dennis Murphy. You should be able to find them open box on eBay for about $350.

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Being a student should be your highest priority. Beyond that, if you have the need for nice audio, you need hundreds not a few bucks. Check on Craigslist for people dumping their gear for cheap. Often people move and they don’t want to bother with keeping their gear. Also eBay is good.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis