Home Theater: need advice what to buy

J

JoeSchmoe

I am new to this and may not even know all he lingo, but I am trying to buy some components to set up a home theater system in my family room. I'll leave the TV purchase for later (I already have a crappy one). Here's what I think I need: receiver, DVD player, speakers. Cost is a serious consideration for me.

Speakers: I narrowed down my choices to Cambridge Soundworks Movieworks line (set of 5 speakers and a sub). They are reasonably priced and I don't think I will hear the difference between them and more expensive speakers. Are they any good?

Receiver: No idea what to get. I'd like a surround sound capability. I guess a DTS or Dolby Digital model. Also, I have in-wall speakers in 3 more rooms in addition to the family room. I'd like to be able to control them each (on/off) separately. Do I need a multi-room receiver or a cheaper option is the switch box? Any advice on inexpensive model?

DVD player: I also have room limitations. Here's what I want my DVD player to do: progressive scan, play all formats of recordable DVD's, play MP3's, plays CD-Rs, -RWs and CDs. I was thinking of the DVD/VCR unit to save space. Some comments I read said many of those have poor CD displays (no track info, limited features). I'd like this DVD unit to serve as primary CD player for my home audio, so I need a good CD display. Any advice on that?

Also, some units have outlets for a surround sound system built-in. Do I need those if I use the receiver? Isn't that an overkill? what outlets do I need?

And finally, my entertainment center has only two open slots and the rest are behind wooden doors. How do I set it up to use the remote control while keeping the doors closed? I assume two open slots would be used for cable box/dish box and DVD player. This means the receiver is behind the doors. What to do about that?

G

Gatorchong

Audioholic
I've always thought Cambridge Soundworks makes great speakers. Never heard the Movieworks, but I don't think you'll be disappointed. Another set to check out is Athena's Micra 6. They go for about $500. Actually there's a whole system guide on this website that would probably be worth checking out. As for recievers, everybody has their favorites. I like Yamaha, I think Denon is probably about the most popular high end "affordable" reciever. But I don't think you're going to get multi-room for under $600. That's about the cheapest I've seen them.

As for the DVD player, I think most of the newer models will play all the formats you're looking for and all you need is a digital out, either coaxial or optical, just make sure your reciever has the corresponding inputs. I don't know about putting the reciever behind closed doors, they can generate a lot of heat, I've always preferred keeping mine where it can get fresh air. Anyway, good luck.

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
Some help

I would go for a Denon Receiver (I like them, personal choice), go with a middle of the road model. If you are spending the money get one that has features for future use. Check this out:
http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/HKAVR130.html

I was thinking about getting this one myself. It is a great Receiver at a great price...if you shop around you can get it for less.

As far as the DVD player goes...I got mine for $53 bucks and it has Composite, s-vid, and component video, analog 5.1 audio, stereo analog, coax digital and tosh digital...it plays DVD, DVD-R, CD, CD-R, CD-RW, picture CD, MP3...it is also DVD region free, you can select what region you want to play (I like import movies)...it is from

http://www.yamakawa.de

Speakers: For the price of the Cambridge Soundworks Movieworks you can get some very nice Home Theater packages that would sound better (shop around)...just stay away from BOSE.

I hope that helps :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis