Home Theater Help for Setup and Purchase Please!

J

jocjo13

Enthusiast
Hello gentlemen,
I've been a long time troll here on the forums and have done a fair amount of research on this site and many others.

Well here is my proposed home theater set-up. Any and all input will be greatly appreciated.

As you'll note in the floorplan below, I'm essentially going to be putting this together in my living room. Since I have an open floorplan and you'll see this setup from everywhere, it makes the WAF (wife acceptance factor) extremely important. You'll note that with my speaker selection but I am open to suggestions and hope to get many.

DISPLAY:
Panasonic TH-PH509UK
I'm a panny fan and really like this display. This is about the only thing I'm set on.

RECIEVER:
In looking for an Receiver I was looking for the following items:
HDMI switching
HDMI upconverting from all sources
Multiple zones (to provide future whole house audio, 3 zones ideal but this is going to be considered part of the home automation project that is further down the line)
XM and Ipod capable.
Was looking for something that could be networked but not sure if its worth it (like the Denon 4306 but I feel that might be too much reciever for this application)

Current A/V Receiver choice:
Denon 2807

SPEAKERS:
Athena Micra 6
or
Onkyo SKS-HT240 (first choice)
The little lady kept bugging me about BOSE and I just can't bring myself to pay the brand premium for them when there are the above two options. Essentially the less she sees of the speakers the better. I was also looking at the Yamaha YSP-1100 given the odd shape of the room and the supposed ease of use but it seems to defeat the purpose of having a reciever. I considered going with in wall speakers in the front but cant put the surrounds in back since I have brick wall.

CABLE PROVIDER:
Comcast Digital Cable Box DVR with HDMI.

DVD Player:
I currently have a Denon DVD-1600 (Holdover from old place - will upgrade later)

VCR Player:
JVC Super VHS player (unfortunately this will still be used occasionally, lol)

So allow me to thank you all in advance for any and all assistance.

If anyone's interested, I'll be sure to provide updates and feedback.

J

jocjo13

Enthusiast
If I posted this in the wrong area, please let me know.

Should this be under the Audiophile category in the Audiophyte topic?

Thanks again!

superstar

superstar

Junior Audioholic
Onkyo ht s907

I'm extremely happy with this set up Onkyo ht s907 it has all the features that you are looking for... 2 cheapest places I found them are JandR and BandHphoto

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
jocjo13 said:
If I posted this in the wrong area, please let me know.

Should this be under the Audiophile category in the Audiophyte topic?

Thanks again!

This is a good place to post. It may take time for enough inputs to get some good ideas. We are just passed a long holiday period:D
The above poster suggested a good company but that is a 7.1 setup that you will not be able to fully utilize. You are lucky to set up a 5.1 system with that drawing you have. The rear speakers on the back wall behind the couch that is sitting right on the wall will be tricky. You may need to place the speakers on the wall, either side of the couch but turned towards the couch.

Or, may need to consider in-wall speakers. Perhaps another setup from the same company?

J

jocjo13

Enthusiast
Thanks for the advice so far.
I'm really not looking to purchase a complete HTIB set but I am interested in a home theater speaker set since the recommendation seems to be to purcahse all speakers from the same manufacturer to match the sound. I am most definitely not an audiophile but like to think that I can tell when things sounds good or great or tingy or bassy, etc. But I am not the kind of guy likely to pull out a meter to calibrate equipment.

I do have a tough setup with the couch up against the wall. I know its not the ideal positioning but its something I will have to work around. I have no problem punching holes in the wall or ceilings and running wires and having to angle the speakers in order to compensate. I had thought of putting in wall speakers in the front and in ceiling for the sats but from reading different forums that seems to be 'frowned upon' since the in ceiling speakers provide such isolated directional sound, or something to that affect. And there is the whole argument that you get better sound from speakers with cabinets, which I may have to agree with especially considering that I have metallic studs as opposed to wood so I'm not sure if they would produce the appropriate sound.

I forgot to mention that I would plan on using the system not only for movies but for music when we have guests and such.

I've also seen some very good feedback on home theater direct speakers. www.htd.com Maybe three of the flat panel (center and L/R) and two (or more) of the middies to complete the system. Any ideas?

Thank you again and please excuse if I ramble on but I'm attempting to absorb as much information as possible and there seems to be a lot of supposed mis-information as well as contradictory info out there so I'm trying to make heads and/or tails of it.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
HT Speakers

Sounds like you will have a nice video setup and you should have a good sound system to match. The receivers you list are way orerkill for a HTIB speaker system and your budget is skewed if you spend $1-2k on the receiver and $300 on the Athena speakers.

For a high WAF and high performance speaker system, you should consider on-wall or in-wall speakers. Axiom audio and paradigm make on-wall versions of their speakers that perform comparibly to the bookshelf version. RBH Sound also has some quality on-wall and in-wall options.
http://www.axiomaudio.com/wallspeakers.html
http://www.rbhsound.com/wm24.shtml

Also, traditional bookshelf speakers or floorstanders like the products from AV123.com have a higher WAF and might be a reasonable option.
http://www.av123.com/products_category.php?section=speakers

I wouldn't put too much faith in HDMI upscaling on the receiver. It is a nice feature and the Yamaha RX-V2700 has one of the best upscaling chips, but don't blow your budget for it. The Yamaha RX-V1700 and 1600 models will allow a single HDMI connection to the display with HDMI switching and upconversion, but lack the upscaling.
Even if you don't get an HDMI receiver, you could probably get away with 2 HDMI connections (DVD and HD Cable) and a Component Video (everything else) from the A/V cabinet to the display.

J

jocjo13

Enthusiast
Thanks for the response JCPanny and you are absolutely right. You really got me thinking and it looks like that if I take HDMI out of the equation, all of a sudden the receivers fall into a much more reasonable price range. I'm currently leaning towards the Yamaha RX-V659 which seems to have everthing I wanted minus the hdmi.
The more I look into hdmi the more I realize how unsettling it is. I just don't get the feel that its a guaranteed technology. What I mean is that, there just appears to be too many questions surrounding it to make it worth the risky price premium.
Thank you again for the recommendation in speakers, I'm going to def expand my search...

J

JohnnyFever

Audiophyte
Hi jocjo13,

I was just wondering if I can ask where you got the layout in your first post? I am wanting to layout a whole house system and I like the look of what you have!

Thanks
John

J

jocjo13

Enthusiast
I actually just used Visio from Microsoft. I've used it to create floorplans for when I sold my condo and such. Its really more of a flow/process chart program but it can be used for office layouts which is how I used it for the layout.

Maybe I have too much time on my hands, lol.

J

JohnnyFever

Audiophyte
jocjo13 said:
I actually just used Visio from Microsoft. I've used it to create floorplans for when I sold my condo and such. Its really more of a flow/process chart program but it can be used for office layouts which is how I used it for the layout.

Maybe I have too much time on my hands, lol.
LOL that's cool I will have to have a look at that. Thanks

John

J

jocjo13

Enthusiast
As an aside is there any sort of formula for figuring out what overall budget my system should be?

I know its a very silly question but just wondering...
If I am going to spend $2000 on a plasma monitor and X on a receiver then I should spend Y on a speaker and Z on cables/etc.???

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
Take the plasma out of the picture, spend 70% or so of the rest on the speakers and sub, and the rest on a receiver and DVD player. If you are going to cheap out, do it on anything but the speakers or sub. Pick your speaker first, they are the heart of your system.

Nick

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Likewise, a subwoofer is something that you can upgrade later on or even purchase later on if your are on a budget. The receiver doesn't power the subwoofer, so receiver power will have nothing to do with your sub.

The speakers? Well, it hasn't been said yet, but avoid Bose. You arne't paying for premium speakers with them - and plenty of reviews will steer you well away from them.

But, options to consider could be in-walls up front and in-ceilings for the surrounds/rears. Directional in-ceiling speakers can do very good for effects while not protruding into your living space while your primary three speakers are where they belong. Remember, for movies, 90% of the dialog comes out of the center. For music, almost everything will be in stereo. So those front three matter a great deal more than everything else.

I personally might consider something like the Definitive Technology Mythos series. The gems are smaller than I would go with when sound matters, but the two, three, and eights are all excellent. Top notch product IMO.

http://www.definitivetechnology.com/loudspeakers/mythos/mythos.html

For the receiver, HDMI is great, but you don't need it. What you need is a good remote control and a controllable system. Your DVD will do fine for a bit more and I likely would hang out for the next year and then get a HD disc player towards the end of the year when the format war is a bit clearer (maybe).

So, there are several excellent Denon, Yamaha, and Pioneer choices that will do you very well.

Speakers are available in vast numbers, but you really need to lock in how much you are willing to spend and where exactly you want them. Also, 5.1 or 7.1?

A nice source online for a choice of inexpesnive speakers I found:
http://audiophileliquidator.com/
I've used them a couple of times.

Finally... cables? www.monoprice.com - call it a day.

J

jocjo13

Enthusiast
Alright... so some more research into my potential home theater and I'm looking for comments on the following selections (I've included what my current purchase price for the items would be):

TV - still set on the Panasonic TH-50PH9UK

Receiver - approximate $500 or less budget.
- Panasonic SA-XR57 ($270) vs. SA-XR70 ($280) - any preference between these two? Why?
- Yamaha RX-V659 ($350) - provides the second zone audio, xm and ipod control as well as upconversion to component.
- Onkyo TX-SR674 ($500) - HDMI connectivity (just came across this one)
- JVC RXD702 ($540) - HDMI connectivity
I know I'm overlooking a Denon or perhaps some other model from the above brands in the $500 range or less that I should look at?

Speakers - approximate $750 or less budget.
- Onkyo SKS-HT240 ($240) - High WAF factor. Have listened to and may be suitable.
- Panasonic SB-FS70 with SB-CW70 ($500) - High WAF but haven't heard.
- HTD panel and middies with sub (perhaps with in-ceiling for a 7.1 setup) ($600) - best bang for the buck?

Components in hand-
Denon DVD-1600 - with component video out
Comcast Digital Cable DVR with Component or HDMI out
JVC Super VHS with S-video out

I have been to a few retailers and have listened to several speaker set-ups. Listend to KEF and Def Tech mythos line of speakers but I think it may be overkill. Unfortunately, unlike many, I can't see the value of spending a lot of money on speakers to place in a multifunctional room that is acoustically inappropriate (hardwood floors, bad configuration, no soundproofing). The receiver is important because I would like to minimize the number of cables I need to run to the TV since all of the wiring will be in-wall and really would like to be able to source select from the receiver to be able to hide the TV remote.

As always, any thoughts, experiences, etc. will be greatly appreciated.

J

JonBaker99

Audioholic
KEF KHT3005 setup is probably the best speaker bundle for the money I can think of. Great looks, High WAF, sounds awesome, small.

Switch from the 2807 to the 2307 and you'll save yourself some money on the receiver but still retain HDMI switching and conversion.

J

jocjo13

Enthusiast
I'm not a huge fan of egg style/shaped speakers and the $1500 for that set is more than I want to spend. Thanks for the feedback.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis