home theater gaming

B

bklyn1028

Audioholic Intern
Want to build ITX for home theater for gaming only. Tried older PC first, HDMI from PC to Denon x220W, and all I Can get is 7.1 "Multichannel", which is NOT surround sound. Am looking for the avr to say "dolby" or something, NOT multichannel which sucks. Windows 10, Realtek and Nvidia, sound control, Doom Eternal, GTX 660. The game plays fine, it's the sound that is bothering me. HDMI from GPU to AVR. AVR to TV.
Is it the game? Am I doing something wrong? Beats me. Any help would be appreciated.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
7.1 Multichannel is ABSOLUTELY surround sound! You seem to be confused on that point.

I think we may need to get your terminology worked out so that we are on the same page and can help you better.

I think we need to know if you are sending the HDMI signal as PWM or as a Bit Stream???

If you are sending a bit stream, coded as "dolby" or similar, then yes you should see "dolby" on the AVR.

However if you are sending PCM signal, then it still could mean that your PC is transcoding from Dolby format to the PCM signal and sending that to the AVR. So.....even if your AVR says "7.1 Multichannel"......you still may be decoding Dolby format on the PC end.

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If the PC is sending sound via PCM audio, it would say 7.1 multichannel, and it may effectively be the same thing as however Dolby would decode. Is there sound actually coming out of the surround channels? What does it say in the configuration panel for the 'manage audio devices' window in the control panel menu?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
If the PC is sending sound via PCM audio, it would say 7.1 multichannel, and it may effectively be the same thing as however Dolby would decode. Is there sound actually coming out of the surround channels? What does it say in the configuration panel for the 'manage audio devices' window in the control panel menu?
Seems that when 2 people tell you the exact same thing, it is likely that we are both correct.

I think PCM is a type of PWM?

Or it is just too early in the morning and I haven't gotten my gears going yet :) :)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I edited my original post from "PWM" to "PCM".....I think you were right, it is indeed PCM.

I have lately been looking at controlling Stepper Motors, which is done by PWM, so it was an easy slip up to make!

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Been gaming with a PC and HT for many years, and PCM multichannel is 100% surround and is dependent on the game to support the way Windows does the multichannel encoding.

OP probably thinks PCM is 2ch only. in the PC world, unless your motherboard supports on the fly transcoding to DTS/DD, you get PCM output. PCM output sounds fantastic and can be used with the DSU or DTS:X upmixers as well. The original PS3 output PCM multichannel and sounded excellent.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis