Home Theater Electrical Requirements

J

jfortado

Audiophyte
I'm needing some guidance as to whether or not I need to install any dedicated circuits, and if so, how many I should look at installing. I currently have the following plugged into one dedicated 20-amp circuit:
  • TV
  • 4K Movie Player
  • Denon 3800 AVR
  • Monolith 7x power amp
  • Dual (2) SVS PB 3000 subs
I currently have the Denon 3800 in full preamp mode so the amplifier section is completely disengaged, but I want to add in 4 Atmos speakers soon so I would need to reengage it to provide power to those. I don't listen at reference levels, but I image I get fairly close, as I like to watch movies loud with powerful LFE. Considering how I use it now, and how I may reengage the Denon 3800's amps soon, is one 20-amp circuit enough? Am I providing enough electrical power to the Monolith 7x to reach its full potential? Or enough power to the subs to reach their full potential?

As well, If I were to upgrade my subs to the new SVS PB 17 Ultras, which have far more powerful sub amps compared to the PB 3000's, would I need or want those on a dedicated circuit?

Thank you for any guidance or knowledge you can provide.

D

dolynick

Audioholic
I would think the answer is going to depend on sensitivity of speakers, listening distance and just how loud you want things to be during the movie.

My guess is that what you currently have is enough to hit the limit of that single 20A circuit if you turned it up loud enough, but maybe you never get to pushing it that hard. As for the new 2800W amps in the 17 Ultras, the preview I read suggested that they're already implementing design elements to keep it from exceeding a 15A circuit, so I would ideally have each of those on their own 15A circuit if I could. But again... Just because they have 2800W amps doesn't mean you'll actually run them at anywhere near that draw in practical usage.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I'm needing some guidance as to whether or not I need to install any dedicated circuits, and if so, how many I should look at installing. I currently have the following plugged into one dedicated 20-amp circuit:
  • TV
  • 4K Movie Player
  • Denon 3800 AVR
  • Monolith 7x power amp
  • Dual (2) SVS PB 3000 subs
I currently have the Denon 3800 in full preamp mode so the amplifier section is completely disengaged, but I want to add in 4 Atmos speakers soon so I would need to reengage it to provide power to those. I don't listen at reference levels, but I image I get fairly close, as I like to watch movies loud with powerful LFE. Considering how I use it now, and how I may reengage the Denon 3800's amps soon, is one 20-amp circuit enough? Am I providing enough electrical power to the Monolith 7x to reach its full potential? Or enough power to the subs to reach their full potential?

As well, If I were to upgrade my subs to the new SVS PB 17 Ultras, which have far more powerful sub amps compared to the PB 3000's, would I need or want those on a dedicated circuit?

Thank you for any guidance or knowledge you can provide.
Go to the specs of your equipment and add up the current rating. You divide the max power consumption by 120 volts to get the current. Add them all together and add 20% for odd peaking and you will know what you have to do.

J

jfortado

Audiophyte
I would think the answer is going to depend on sensitivity of speakers, listening distance and just how loud you want things to be during the movie.

My guess is that what you currently have is enough to hit the limit of that single 20A circuit if you turned it up loud enough, but maybe you never get to pushing it that hard. As for the new 2800W amps in the 17 Ultras, the preview I read suggested that they're already implementing design elements to keep it from exceeding a 15A circuit, so I would ideally have each of those on their own 15A circuit if I could. But again... Just because they have 2800W amps doesn't mean you'll actually run them at anywhere near that draw in practical usage.
My space is ~4700 cubic feet and is a multiuse area in the basement. I sit about 14 feet from the front stage, the speakers I am using are SVS Prime Pinnacles (88db sensitivity), SVS Ultra Center (88db sensitivity), SVS Ultra Surrounds (87db sensitivity). SVS rates all of these at 8-ohm nominal impendence, but from reviews and people who have measured these speaker, they all believed them to be more like 6-ohm nominal impendence speakers. I do like it loud. I go as high as -5db from reference for some movies. Most are at around -10db from reference. I was almost sure that I should install 1 or 2 additional dedicated 20-amp circuits to ensure I had enough power to deliver to everything I have now and into the future, but wasn't sure how absolutely necessary it would be.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
If you do add circuits, make sure they are on the same phase as the one you are using currently,

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

D

dolynick

Audioholic
My space is ~4700 cubic feet and is a multiuse area in the basement. I sit about 14 feet from the front stage, the speakers I am using are SVS Prime Pinnacles (88db sensitivity), SVS Ultra Center (88db sensitivity), SVS Ultra Surrounds (87db sensitivity). SVS rates all of these at 8-ohm nominal impendence, but from reviews and people who have measured these speaker, they all believed them to be more like 6-ohm nominal impendence speakers. I do like it loud. I go as high as -5db from reference for some movies. Most are at around -10db from reference. I was almost sure that I should install 1 or 2 additional dedicated 20-amp circuits to ensure I had enough power to deliver to everything I have now and into the future, but wasn't sure how absolutely necessary it would be.
The power ratings of all the amps are the key figures. The sensitivity of speakers is relevant vs the actual SPL you listen at to determine just how hard you are working the amps in actual use. The peak all channels driven wattage rating (at the impedance of speakers) of your amps should determine your maximum potential draw if you did push everything to the limit though - which would be your safety net figure.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis