Home Theater Colors?

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
Ok, So I am getting ready to do the drywall for my hometheater and my wife and I have started looking forward to final colors for the HT. The 8 la-z-boy recliners are a light blue microsuede (I think it is actually called sea foam). We are going to do fabric on the walls. Thinking left, right, and back will be a burgundy and the front wall will be black (using a front projector system).

So the questions become what color should the ceiling and rug be?? Was thinking a gray for the ceiling (trying to stay away from white and think black will be too dark) and maybe a tan w/ speckles for the rug. We want to introduce some light colors. The WAF is on the line for the color coordinating. She thinks that may be too many colors.

Any other ideas??

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
Bryce_H said:
.... We are going to do ........ We want ....... The WAF ....... She thinks.......
Catch the pattern here? we, we, the waf, she.

Somethings are best left to the WAF.

I bought carpet for the entire house last year. (meaning my $ bought the carpet for the WAF).

I have Dark Red in my small HT. Nearly a blood red. WAF said I could pick my own color (wasn't that nice of her?).

Looks sharp and everything in the room contrasts and stands out against the carpet.

The rest of the house is "med french country blue" what ever that means. Like I said, somethings are best left to the WAF.

I would look for a color to contrast with the Lazyboy's. Light colors show dirt and stains, so while her tan would work, there are a lot of nice earthy colors on the market. I remember seeing an earthy med rose that would work well in your room.

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
Hi
For performance
Try to keep the wall color of your H/T the same or darker shades than Kodak gray and try not to use gloss paint. Try and minimize the amount of highly reflective material in front of the viewing position, this includes mirriors, furniture
Ect

HookedOnSound

HookedOnSound

Full Audioholic
Bryce_H said:
...We are going to do fabric on the walls. Thinking left, right, and back will be a burgundy and the front wall will be black (using a front projector system).

...Was thinking a gray for the ceiling (trying to stay away from white and think black will be too dark) and maybe a tan w/ speckles for the rug. We want to introduce some light colors. The WAF is on the line for the color coordinating. She thinks that may be too many colors.

Any other ideas??
Speaking from experience, avoid light colored carpets! Especially if you have pets and/or kids! I have a cream/beige solid colored carpet in some parts of my house and after only a couple of years and even after carpet washing I am ready to rip it out! Stains stick out like a sore thumb.

IMO, choose your carpet carefully because you'll probably be keeping for a while...Walls are easier to repaint than replacing carpets...Go multi-colored for the carpet with medium/dark tones and keep the walls light colored, especially if you have a small room for your H/T (dark colors make a room feel smaller).

Low gloss finishes will also help minimize any glare.

Colors are a personal choice but they are best left to wives :D

Have a great day!

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
Thanks for the suggestions so far. couple of points of clarification:

- Only surface that will be painted will be the ceiling

- Room size is 16 * 23

- There will be minimal, almost no objects in the room that will be reflective (except ceiling and 2 doors on the back wall - 1 entrance, 1 to the component cabinet). If I find the room too "dead" I may add some framed movie posters, but that's it.

Thanks again.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis