Home theater / audio

F

ferbeau

Audiophyte
Hi all
Just became a member....
I just moved to NYC from South America. I bought a 50" Samsung Smart TV, and I would like now to set up a good audio system for my living room.
My idea is to set up a home theater (5.1 or better), with a good receiver.
As I am a beginner in all this, I was wondering if I could receive some help to figure out what couls be the best option.
My idea is to go beyond the average brands (I would like to go for something like Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, etc), and of course good speakers as well. Is it worth it to have something with 4K?
Also, Is SONOS a good brand? I know it works with no cables, but....

Thanks to you all!!!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
First easy one : Regarding 4k or UHD. http://carltonbale.com/does-4k-resolution-matter/

As for other questions :
What's your total budget? Please let us adjust what goes where.
How big is the room? Is it opens up to other rooms / spaces if so what is total volume?

Sonos systems are very easy to setup and work well, though i never heard sonos speakers. Someone recently mentioned that sonos subwoofer is nothing to write home about

F

ferbeau

Audiophyte
I was thinking about $1,500 aprox, but if it's worth it, I would think about not buying everything together...
My living room is about 200sqft, aprox 20' x 10'
thanks!

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Philarmonic audio AA for 5.0. Hsu vtf2 sub. Amazon Warehouse deals for Denon x1000 or x1100w avr

Grassy

Grassy

Full Audioholic
I was thinking about $1,500 aprox, but if it's worth it, I would think about not buying everything together...
My living room is about 200sqft, aprox 20' x 10'
thanks!
Not getting everything at the same time can be a good thing if you have a steady job and have your cash flow coming in on a weekly basis as then you would not have to wait too long for your next item you would like to buy. That will also enable you to spend a little more than you would normally do on something a little better maybe. Don't forget though at the same time there is new stuff being produced on a regular basis so what is new today is old tomorrow.My advice would be to go to a local store and listen to the sales person and then go away and do your homework on what he tells you. Don't rush into it especially if your new to all of this.If you have to keep running back and forth i can tell you in the end it could very well be worth it. Start with your ears and listen to a few setups.Do your homework on each component that someone is selling you and right things down on paper including model numbers of items for reference.

F

ferbeau

Audiophyte
thank you.....sorry, i am a beginner. thanks
are these speakers better than bose?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Pretty much everything is better than bose. I'm getting tired repeating same things. Just buy the recommendationed setup. You will enjoy it and if not, you could return it

Last edited:
D

Dr. Bob

Junior Audioholic
I just learned about Accessories4less from another thread: unbelievable discounts on AVRs! Note these are mostly factory refurbished, but under full warranty.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Philarmonic audio AA for 5.0. Hsu vtf2 sub. Amazon Warehouse deals for Denon x1000 or x1100w avr
ferbeau,
You can buy what BoredSysAdmin suggested above and enjoy a system likely better than all your friends. Or you can spend the next year asking questions and researching other choices that are more than likely less satisfying.

$1500 is a low-end budget for a 5.1 home theater. Many of us have more than that in a single subwoofer. My point is that there are thousands of options and combinations for $1500... thousands more for $1600... thousands more for $1700, etc.

You said you are new to this. My suggestion is to get the system above, enjoy the heck out of it, and if you get the "Audioholic" bug, you can spend all the time and money you want looking at upgrades. But in the meantime, you will have an outstanding system to enjoy.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis