Home Stereo System: Time to cut loses and move on?

J

J.M.Pearson

Audiophyte
I've had the same AIWA NSX-DS50 home stereo system for about 25 years. For the most part it still worked with the exception of the dual cassette players. The rubber belts gave up the ghost some years ago. We basically used it for home theatre [5.1] and listening to the radio and the occasional CD. While cleaning out a closet I ran across my box of cassette tapes. I decided to bite the bullet and replace the tired rubber drive belts with new ones. That went fairly painlessly. I tried a cassette and it worked. I could "play", fast forward, and reverse where I could not before. Eureka! But then I realized that there was no sound. Even though the tape was "play"ing there was no sound coming out of any of the speakers. I tried the radio. Same thing. Tried a CD. Same thing. So even though I got the cassette player to work again I somehow introduced a new issue with no sound out of the speakers. There isn't even a hiss. Its like the speakers are not hooked up.

I double-checked the connections that I had to disconnect when taking it apart and to me everything seems to be re-connected as it should be. Any idea what the issue could be [other than its a 25 year old AIWA]?

If I'm not able to get it working again what would you suggest as a worthwhile replacement?

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
I don’t know of anyone making an all-in-one system like that anymore. You’ll have to shop for something used.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I've had the same AIWA NSX-DS50 home stereo system for about 25 years. For the most part it still worked with the exception of the dual cassette players. The rubber belts gave up the ghost some years ago. We basically used it for home theatre [5.1] and listening to the radio and the occasional CD. While cleaning out a closet I ran across my box of cassette tapes. I decided to bite the bullet and replace the tired rubber drive belts with new ones. That went fairly painlessly. I tried a cassette and it worked. I could "play", fast forward, and reverse where I could not before. Eureka! But then I realized that there was no sound. Even though the tape was "play"ing there was no sound coming out of any of the speakers. I tried the radio. Same thing. Tried a CD. Same thing. So even though I got the cassette player to work again I somehow introduced a new issue with no sound out of the speakers. There isn't even a hiss. Its like the speakers are not hooked up.

I double-checked the connections that I had to disconnect when taking it apart and to me everything seems to be re-connected as it should be. Any idea what the issue could be [other than its a 25 year old AIWA]?

If I'm not able to get it working again what would you suggest as a worthwhile replacement?
We won't solve this at long range. However, I would be it is something very simple.
Obviously you have disconnected something. I have a hunch though that the voltage amp stages are somehow disconnected from the power stages, or more likely there is no power getting to the power amp stages.

You will just have to take it apart and check every interconnect.

I would work from the power supply board, and check that all wires are connected.

J

J.M.Pearson

Audiophyte
We won't solve this at long range. However, I would be it is something very simple.
Obviously you have disconnected something. I have a hunch though that the voltage amp stages are somehow disconnected from the power stages, or more likely there is no power getting to the power amp stages.

I would work from the power supply board, and check that all wires are connected.
Thanks to all the replies. I will give this a try.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Makes me wonder if its something such a tape monitor circuit being enabled or something simple along those lines....

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Makes me wonder if its something such a tape monitor circuit being enabled or something simple along those lines....
That is a good thought
Does not seem to have a tape monitor circuit, but it does have a reset procedure.

J

J.M.Pearson

Audiophyte
I apprepciate everyone's input. I'm thinking its time to move on and take it to the recycling center. We pretty much just used it for the home theatre functionality. We can get something much better to replace it.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I apprepciate everyone's input. I'm thinking its time to move on and take it to the recycling center. We pretty much just used it for the home theatre functionality. We can get something much better to replace it.
You are 100% correct you can get something better. That unit is not a collector item for sure!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis