Home Network Wired/Wireless recomendations

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
I am looking for some hardware recommendations for the best single network setup for my house. I am running several streaming devices plus a 6+ zone Roon system.

My ISP is spectrum and I am seeing around 100Mbps. I was running a cheap D-link router into my GB switch and then have a Luma mesh wireless for WiFi. My issue is that my wired devices were on a different IP stack and WiFi and wired did not work with Roon as I needed.

So now I have removed the router and am running the Luma mesh as the router and this has fixed my Roon issues. Now I am worried this system cannot handle the throughput that streaming 4K as well as all the other WiFi duties in the house.

My gear is in my rack in the basement so there is no way I can get away with a single wifi/router. I also have a garage with a room above it for visitors that I need to cover so I need around 200ft+ coverage.

Thanks!

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I am looking for some hardware recommendations for the best single network setup for my house. I am running several streaming devices plus a 6+ zone Roon system.

My ISP is spectrum and I am seeing around 100Mbps. I was running a cheap D-link router into my GB switch and then have a Luma mesh wireless for WiFi. My issue is that my wired devices were on a different IP stack and WiFi and wired did not work with Roon as I needed.

So now I have removed the router and am running the Luma mesh as the router and this has fixed my Roon issues. Now I am worried this system cannot handle the throughput that streaming 4K as well as all the other WiFi duties in the house.

My gear is in my rack in the basement so there is no way I can get away with a single wifi/router. I also have a garage with a room above it for visitors that I need to cover so I need around 200ft+ coverage.

Thanks!
Did you have the Luma connected to the switch or the router and was it set as a router, or an access point? If it's connected to a router, it has to be set up as an access point. It should be connected to the switch if you want everything to work together.

You'll need a cable to the rack with a switch in order to make sure everything gets the speed/throughput it needs- remember, wired is faster than WiFi. Hardwire anything that doesn't move, use WiFi for hand-helds and anything that doesn't have an ethernet port. If possible, stack the mesh devices vertically, in or as close to the center of the house, as possible. That way, each one is about 10'-25' away from the next and distance is less of an issue. Building materials need to be considered, too- if you have a house that kills RF, you'll need more access points.

Download Inssider on a laptop if you have one and walk around the house, looking for areas where the signal strength drops below ~-75dB and move the Luma devices as needed. Do speed tests in all locations. If the Luma app is similar to Eero, you'll be able to see the network speed at the router, in real time.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
ADK, before you PM'ed me yesterday I've never heard about Luma mesh wifi system, even though generally I try to keep myself up today with this stuff. Unsurprisingly it's a bit lacking behind other mesh systems:
http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2016/12/google-wifi-eero-luma-comparison-test.html
Don't necessarily be concerned about internet speed as your provider 100mbps is likely the bottleneck here, not Luma performance.
That said I'm a nerd and I like nerdy solutions. I have Asus (wifi) router which is my old sole provider of routing and wifi and since 6 months ago it's wifi has been turned off and retired only to serve as a router/firewall.
I bought 3x Ubiquiti UAP AC-PRo wifi access points and they do a great job proving coverage in my fairly large house. They work best wired, but could also be configured with wireless uplink and it works fine.
a central controller is required (at least for initial config) it could be simple install on the windows pc or a bit more streamlined with Ubiquiti UniFi Cloud Key.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
ADK, before you PM'ed me yesterday I've never heard about Luma mesh wifi system, even though generally I try to keep myself up today with this stuff. Unsurprisingly it's a bit lacking behind other mesh systems:
http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2016/12/google-wifi-eero-luma-comparison-test.html
Don't necessarily be concerned about internet speed as your provider 100mbps is likely the bottleneck here, not Luma performance.
That said I'm a nerd and I like nerdy solutions. I have Asus (wifi) router which is my old sole provider of routing and wifi and since 6 months ago it's wifi has been turned off and retired only to serve as a router/firewall.
I bought 3x Ubiquiti UAP AC-PRo wifi access points and they do a great job proving coverage in my fairly large house. They work best wired, but could also be configured with wireless uplink and it works fine.
a central controller is required (at least for initial config) it could be simple install on the windows pc or a bit more streamlined with Ubiquiti UniFi Cloud Key.
I got the Luma setup for $100 so it was small investment and has worked very well for that money.

They just ran fiber on my road in the late fall so I may have serious speeds available this summer.

I have installed the Ubiquiti AP's at a friends Motel and they work great. It took me a bit to get their product line straight but their gear is solid. We use the Cisco Meraki units at work but for the money the Ubiquiti stuff is way better.

I would prefer to go to a real router and then do the AP's off that as you are doing and highfigh suggested. I have to spend some money on the home business so this is a good investment all around. I have enough drops around the house to wire each AP. Are you using POE versions?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes, AC-Pro support standard POE. I think AC-Lite only support their proprietary PoE and requires their switches. I've bought each UAP-AC-Pro for $100, but $120 each would still be a good price.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis