Home Automation Question

C

ctribble

Junior Audioholic
I am getting ready to build a house and I have a few questions!
I want to have a 6.1 Surround Sound in my great room. Deck speakers hooked up to a volume control, bedroom #2 speakers hooked up to a volume control, dining room speakers hooked up to a volume control, and my master bath and walk-in closet hooked up to a volume control. All the volume controls will be ran to a speaker selector in which I want to have on all the time so all you have to do is turn up the volume control to hear music. I have a Denon 3805 receiver with multiple zones that I can hook up the speaker selector to, but I want to leave it on all the time and I am affraid my receiver will over heat. Should I hook up my Speakers to Zone 2 on the Denon and turn it off all the time when I am not using it, or should I buy a cheap radio/cd player and hook up the speaker selector to that seperately? Also, what speaker selector should I buy, and why? I will have a total of 4 sets of speakers hooked up to the speaker selector. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated!!
C.T.

L

Lincoln

Audioholic
The Denon will be fine if left on all the time, as long as it has decent ventilation around it. You don't need a speaker selector if you buy the right volume controls...you want impedance matching control with lowest volume setting being off. Many are available, Niles brand comes to mind as a good choice.

Go ahead and wire for future upgrades while your building. Run at least one (home run) structured cable (2 rg6, 2 cat5, 2 fiber) to each room and room at least one (home run) Cat5 to each of the volume control locations. Two of each would be best. Running wires before the sheetrock is up is cheap, after is expensive.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Please look at your other post of the same title and same question in the 'room setup' forum for some additional detailed answers to this question.

D

dillweed

Junior Audioholic
Hdtv

Also don't forget to have a cable run to the roof or attic for over the air HD signals.

C

ctribble

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for the input but...

I know myself and I know I am not going to use the universal remote throughout the house...with that said I just need to hook-up the volume controls to the speaker selector..I think! If I don't use a speaker selector what do I hook-up all my volume controls to? I am spending a lot more money on my family room design (plasma, speakers, subwoofer) so I guess my main question is will my Denon 3805 overheat if I leave it on all the time!
Thanks
C.T.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis