Holoplot’s Ground-Breaking X1 Matrix Array Sound System to Revolutionize Audio?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
German pro-audio company Holoplot has developed a remarkable sound system for live sound. The Holoplot X1 Matrix Array Sound System is a unique modular system that uses advanced beam-forming and other proprietary technology to deliver what the company describes as “previously inaccessible” audio performance for a wide variety of venues. This is the tech behind the system in Las Vegas’s radical Sphere arena.

Holoplot calls its approach to audio reproduction “science-based, software-driven, and hardware-enabled,” resulting in “a quantum leap in audio capability.” The company’s Matrix Array system certainly appears to be on the cutting edge, promising to make previously inaccessible capabilities available in the real world — even if that real world is currently limited to large and extremely well-funded projects. When going through the company’s online literature, one non-technical blurb caught my attention. Holoplot says that “when people experience better sound, they will enjoy more meaningful moments and create richer memories.” As an audiophile, I can get behind that sentiment 100%.

Do you think this will be a quantum leap in audio that will revolutionize how we listen to live music?

array.jpg

Read: Holoplot’s Ground-Breaking X1 Matrix Array Sound System

Last edited:
Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Audioholic Chief
I hope so. Advances in sound technology are most welcome. Looks and I’m sure sounds amazing. Reminds me of the billion $+ audio video setup at the Sphere in Las Vegas. I’m assuming this would be Elon Musk’s new home theatre setup. I wonder if you could put it in a spaceship. :)

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I have been at the point, for some time now, that the potential for improvement is only there because someone continuously suggests that it exists. Otherwise, I would not pursue it.

Speakers have gotten better than my sense of hearing and judgement. I feel fortunate to have come to that conclusion, finally.

The best recordings are already coming across flawless with the uncomplicated speakers I have, IMO. My next upgrade will come when they standardize a more universally higher recording quality/rating. Some of it is getting ridiculously good as we move forward so, for 'my' use, the idea of a superior type of system is a little late to the game.

ETA: Cool stuff, though.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
While been somewhat paying attention to the installation at the Sphere, and seems each module was somewhat reasonablly priced (but so damn many needed for that space....)....not sure why this would ever have to do with my particular home otoh.

J

jeffca

Junior Audioholic
Proper context is needed to understand the size of the speakers.

as shown, they are 30 inches wide by 24 inches high by 15 inches deep. They aren’t gigantic. Without a proper point of reference these things look huge.

That being said, they do pack an awful lot of amplification and DSP power in the box.

They’re not for home use unless you’re home is a palace with marble floors and walls in a 50x100ft listening room.

Each speaker has a peak output in excess of 140dB using 96 channels of DSP and amplification.

You need this for home audio like you need a rocket launcher.

J

jeffca

Junior Audioholic
Oh, yeah, the live music question.

Given the flexibility that the DSP affords for set ups in a variety of theaters on a tour, these are absolutely going to be seen in live venues like sports arenas and theaters.

Looking at the two speakers that they offer, the only place where I see this not catching on would be on tours where you need a lot of low end. They just don’t offer a lot of dynamic range with the limited number of 18 inch subwoofers that they pack into the system.

I do imagine that in the future they will be offering subwoofer arrays for larger tours.

Every company that makes pro audio speakers is crapping their pants right now.

N

Nondemo01

Junior Audioholic
Thanks AH! I love these articles from Jacob on "outside the box" stuff! (I'm a drummer which means I'm a gear nerd so keep these coming!)

In my "youth" before I joined the Navy, I was a struggling musician and supplemented my "income" by running sound for others. What I learned is the future is more than likely personal audio. Planning and then building systems for various sports arenas is a HUGE money dump and even then, for mediocre sound at best. I think if you polled today's FOH engineers they'd ALL tell you that if we could only pump music to each person's AirPods/ear-bud-of-choice, they'd MUCH prefer that to the hours spent building and then setting line arrays for even coverage in a hockey rink. Places like the Sphere will be the exceptions not the rule. (I've been to the U2 concert and it was awesome! Unfortunately, the artists willing to dedicate the effort to designing their show for this type of audio experience is very small cause of costs. So we're left with 50 year old acts who HAVE the money. Costs are too high for new artists right now unfortunately. Just do a google search for the costs of touring busses. Tours are barely breaking even sadly. The state of the "music business" is terrible and totally upside down. Add in none of our kids wants to dedicate any time to practice/learning their instrument and schools treat "band" as a social experiment, and music isn't going to get any better for awhile. Sorry, I drifted and it's my $.02/opinion anyway.) Great article nonetheless!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis