Holiday Season and HiDef DVDs...

evilkat

evilkat

Senior Audioholic
Hey guys, so I bought a HT system (my first!) around the end of last year and got a 720p TV, thinking that I'll sit out this crazy format war a while longer until things are a bit more finalized and gen2 hardware is out. So I waited. And I'm still waiting, and I have to say, I feel a little disappointed that I am not getting to view my favorite movies in HD glory! I feel like my system is very underutilized and feel like a bit of a mook for having spent a lotta money on a system and not using it to it's full potential.

So having banged my head against the wall/desk trying to figure out what to do when purchasing a HiDef player, I thought I'd put the question to you guys:

If you had to get a Blu Ray/HD-DVD player THIS holiday season, what would you get?

I don't even have a DVD player atm, because I was thinking there'd be no point going for a nice upconverting one like an Oppo if I'm going to get an HD player....but maybe someone should talk some sense into me :)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Hey guys, so I bought a HT system (my first!) around the end of last year and got a 720p TV, thinking that I'll sit out this crazy format war a while longer until things are a bit more finalized and gen2 hardware is out. So I waited. And I'm still waiting, and I have to say, I feel a little disappointed that I am not getting to view my favorite movies in HD glory! I feel like my system is very underutilized and feel like a bit of a mook for having spent a lotta money on a system and not using it to it's full potential.
So having banged my head against the wall/desk trying to figure out what to do when purchasing a HiDef player, I thought I'd put the question to you guys:
If you had to get a Blu Ray/HD-DVD player THIS holiday season, what would you get?

I don't even have a DVD player atm, because I was thinking there'd be no point going for a nice upconverting one like an Oppo if I'm going to get an HD player....but maybe someone should talk some sense into me :)
Between a rock and a hard place? :D
How large is that TV?
But, hi def does look great on larger TVs and some smaller ones, some say:)

If you like movies that are on one or the other without being from a dual format company, then go for the combi hi def players that are coming this winter season:D At least you will have the player when you upgrade TV to 1080p and increase its size.:D

evilkat

evilkat

Senior Audioholic
Hey good point mtc :) My tv is only a 42" and does 720p...so 1080p is not an option. However after watching over the air HDTV in 720p, holy crap you just keep wishing you could watch DVDs in that resolution :D

I can't say that the cost of going with a combi player is very appealing to me...(doesn't vidbox have combo players out now?) but on the other hand, thats a garaunteed way to ensure that I can watch all the movies I want without worrying about which studio falls in which camp.

As tempted as I am to just keep on watching DVDs (lower price on DVDs AND players!), I feel bad that I am not able to enjoy HD movies.

Maybe if some of you guys who actually jumped on the HD wagon can explain to me what finally pushed you over, I can get a better perspective?

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I was less than impressed when I purchased my BR player; I was expecting more than I got and it just didnt seem that much better to me. Flash forward 10 movies and you couldnt even get me to watch a SD DVD. Once you get used to HD it is very difficult to go backwards. If it were me; I would get the format that is less expensive unless you are a gamer and then it is PS3 all the way.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Hey good point mtc :)

Maybe if some of you guys who actually jumped on the HD wagon can explain to me what finally pushed you over, I can get a better perspective?
Unfortunately, 42" is hard to talk you into a switch:eek:
But, hi-def is just that, a much better, detailed picture. On a large screen;) even the texture of people's clothing adds to the visual stimulation.:D

CaliHwyPatrol

CaliHwyPatrol

Audioholic Chief
I jumped on the wagon and got both because I was tired of looking through the HD discs and only be able to watch Blu-Rays (I got BD first, and had only planned on staying with it). What pushed me over for originally getting the Blu-Ray was that I bought a nice 1080p tv, and I wanted to use the tv to its full potential. DVDs looked ok, but once I hooked up the Blu-Ray and played some movies on it, I was hooked.

I then bought HD-DVD because of Transformers. Actually, aside from the 2 movies that came in the box with the player, Transformers is the only HD-DVD I own.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
You can get a Toshiba HD-A2 for a little more than an Oppo and the HD-A2 does an excellent job of upconverting DVDs. That's the main reason I bought mine. I can enjoy most of the movies I want to see in HD and still have an excellent upconverting player for standard discs.

evilkat

evilkat

Senior Audioholic
I was almost ready to just give up on the BR mess and go with HD, but now that I read about Tiers on the HD DVD front, I'm all confused again as to what to get :( :( :(

Good lord, I guess I'll be sticking with DVD for the next few years. That Oppo sure sounds more and more tempting....that is until I see what over the air 720p programming in the evening again!!!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis