hk avr70 and sony subwoofer

hassenpfeffer

hassenpfeffer

Audiophyte
hi group. i have a quick question...

i just brought a used HK avr70 receiver. i am using it with two standing polk s10s and a sony subwoofer that i was previously using with my sony home theater system. the polks sound fine but the subwoofer is very very low. previously, on my sony system, i had to keep it way low since it was so loud, now i can hardly get any sound out of it. the sub is rated at 8ohms and 100 watts. any suggestions?

Rocky

Rocky

Audioholic
turn up the bass levels. make sure your fronts are set to normal instead of large. if the receiver has it, turn on "loudness" and "bass boost"

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Hmm, your subwoofer sounds like it's passive (as in no internal amp). Since most receivers are designed to work with powered subs, you'll need to buy a separate amp for it or buy a better, powered subwoofer.

hassenpfeffer

hassenpfeffer

Audiophyte
sub spec

hi all - thanks for the replies...

rocky: yes all the bass levels are turned up as loud as they go and still i have to turn up my sub all the way up to get anything out of it...

jaxvon: i checked my sub and it says its an "active" speaker. does that mean it already has an amp inside?

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Hmm...that should mean that it does. Tell me this: Do you plug your subwoofer into the wall?

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Okay, I assume you also you have your subwoofer connected to the subwoofer out on your receiver.

Are you using your receiver for video switching? If so, access the on-screen menu. If not, plug in the monitor out on the reciever (either composite or S-Video) to your TV's input so you can use the on-screen menu. Enter the speaker setup menu and make sure that you have your subwoofer enabled. If this is done, try switching the front speakers to "Small". If you don't know how to access the menu, refer to your user manual, or check it out online:

http://manuals.harman.com/HK/Owner's Manual/AVR70 om.pdf

hassenpfeffer

hassenpfeffer

Audiophyte
remote & config settings

yes i saw these config settings but i am not able to change them because i dont have the remote - i am able to get the on screen menu but am not able to get any farther than that. do you think if i get a universal remote i will be able to get to these settings?

Mr. Lamb Fries

Mr. Lamb Fries

Full Audioholic
hassenpfeffer said:
yes i saw these config settings but i am not able to change them because i dont have the remote - i am able to get the on screen menu but am not able to get any farther than that. do you think if i get a universal remote i will be able to get to these settings?
Unless you get a good one, Universal remotes are usually mislabeled and/or dont have the necessary buttons to communicate with your receiver. I wouold call HK and see if they can walk you through the set up from the front of the receiver. If you have a remote lying around, or feel like picking one up, you could get lucky.

Here is the customer service direct line. they should be able to help you
516-682-6438

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis