HK AVR 635 and clipping?

J

jmanlp

Audioholic
Hey I just got my avr 635 hooked up to my klipsch sf-3s. I was wondering at what volume level does it clip at? I don't wan to hurt my speakers, but I find i have to turn it up way higher (number wise) than other receives I have had in the past. Anyway I absolutely love it, coolest looking thing i've ever owned (besides my gf, jk)

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
No set answer but if you follow audio rule # 1, you'll be fine.

Audio Rule # 1: If it sounds bad, turn it down.

Audio rule # 2: When kerfutzing with wires, power every affected component down.

M

MBauer

Audioholic
Thought on rule 1

I agree with rule 1, I would add "turn it down quickly"

Clipping turns a sinusoidal output into a square wave, that is bad for all the components, it forces the speaker to its extended position and the amp section into a high current/heat position.

How efficient are your speakers? Usually rated at "nn" SPL for 1 watt of input where "nn" is measured in db's. It can really vary and since it is measured in db's the differences can be tricky to understand. For example a speaker rated at 91 db per 1 watt of input will play a hell of lot louder than one rated at 84 db per 1 watt of input, if you send it 1 watt. This is not an indication of the speakers quality. Only a mesurement of efficiency.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Excellent point. ...and true.

MBauer said:
I agree with rule 1, I would add "turn it down quickly"
Oh, the difference one single word can make.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
jmanlp said:
Hey I just got my avr 635 hooked up to my klipsch sf-3s. I was wondering at what volume level does it clip at? I don't wan to hurt my speakers, but I find i have to turn it up way higher (number wise) than other receives I have had in the past. Anyway I absolutely love it, coolest looking thing i've ever owned (besides my gf, jk)
Your speakers are very efficent, your eardrums will be in great pain way before any clipping occures. The volume numbers on receivers varies form brand to brand so they can not be used to make reliable comparisons between brands. Enjoy.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
jmanlp said:
Your HK 635 will not clip with those speakers. Clipping is distortion and HK's High Current Amp's won't do that unless you are trying to power some Martin Logan electostats. Distortion blows speakers, not clean power. Don't worry, turn it up and enjoy the music. That set up will blow you away. Take the advice above and turn it down when it starts to sound bad. If you can hear bass distortion, then it's too loud. I've seen Klipsch's blow, but driven by cheap Yamaha receivers over hours and hours of play at parties, not high end HK's. You are fine. Plus you have a great warranty on your Klipsch's.

Last edited:
J

jmanlp

Audioholic
I guess im not used to the way HK does its values, my old kenwood I couldnt stand over -30. Does anyone else have a newer HK receiver and know at what volume it would begin to clip at? I guess im just curious now even though im sure I wont get there. The higest ive taken it is -10, my Klipsch speakers are pretty darn efficient so i'm hoping ill never top it out.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
jmanlp said:
I guess im not used to the way HK does its values, my old kenwood I couldnt stand over -30. Does anyone else have a newer HK receiver and know at what volume it would begin to clip at? I guess im just curious now even though im sure I wont get there. The higest ive taken it is -10, my Klipsch speakers are pretty darn efficient so i'm hoping ill never top it out.
Here's the specs on your speakers...

SF-3
Floorstanding Loudspeaker

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Specifications
FREQUENCY RESPONSE:
37Hz-20kHz ±3dB
SENSITIVITY:
98dB @ 1watt/1meter
POWER HANDLING:
150 watts maximum continuous (600 watts peak)
NOMINAL IMPEDANCE:
8 ohms
ENCLOSURE TYPE:
Bass reflex via rear-mounted port
DRIVE COMPONENTS:
Two-way sytem using one 1" (2.54cm) magnetically shielded, aluminum dome compression driver tweeter with a 6" (15.24cm) square 90° x 60° Tractrix® Horn and two 8" (20.32cm) magnetically shielded, IMG
TWEETER:
1" (2.54cm) Aluminum dome compression driver
HIGH FREQUENCY HORN:
6" square 90°x60° Tractrix® Horn
HF CROSSOVER:
1975Hz
WOOFER:
Two 8" (20.32cm) IMG cone / cast polymer frame
DIMENSIONS:
38.5" (97.8cm) x 9" (22.9cm) x 16.2" (41cm)
WEIGHT:
56 lbs. (25.5kg)
ENCLOSURE MATERIAL:
Medium density fiberboard construction (MDF)
FINISHES:
Black ash vinyl veneer
BUILT FROM:
BUILT TO:

Those are some efficient speakers! Make sure to crossover your sub (assuming you have one) around 40 to 60Hz or even THX's recommended 80Hz. Your woofers only go down to 37Hz, so distorted bass could damage the driver. Those speakers handle 150 watts continuous, so I'd let my ear tell me what's too loud, not the level on the receiver.

I can take my volume on my Denon 3805 down to -2 and even 0 if I set everything flat. It's very loud, but clean. The volume is probably very similar to your HK. It's possible your HK needs more rotations to get to the same setting as opposed to your Kenwood. My Polk's are rated at 89db, or almost 3 times less efficient than your Klipsch, so -10 may be your limit.

J

jmanlp

Audioholic
I actually turned my receiver up as high as it would go which is +25 i believe and at that level i noticed no distortion. It was loud but sounded good. I am moving into a larger place next year where we plan to have a lot of loud parties, i bought these speakers with their sensitivity and bass response in mind for my "active" college lifestyle. I think im gonna need a little more power than the HK can provide for these parties, can anyone recommend me a good (not the most expensive, but equal in quality to my receiver) 2ch amp so that I can amp the front L and R. Im looking for something in the 125 - 150 watt range. Does HK make amps anymore? It would be cool to have a matching amp...

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
A great party amp is the Mackie 300x300. Small, clean, and can be found for a reasonable price. Don't let the DJ status/size fool you. This is one of the most rugged amps on the planet. I wouldn't recomment it for classical or jazz, but house and rock is excellent. We had an older model in college and it was unbelievable. Just don't blow your towers!

www.mackie.com

J

jmanlp

Audioholic
hmmm what do you think of the Mackie m800, they dont sell the one you were talking about anymore. Maybe i should get a party system so my HT doesnt get #*$%ed up. maybe some Cerwin Vegas to go with it... A nearly indestructable system...

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
jmanlp said:
hmmm what do you think of the Mackie m800, they dont sell the one you were talking about anymore. Maybe i should get a party system so my HT doesnt get #*$%ed up. maybe some Cerwin Vegas to go with it... A nearly indestructable system...
Sure they do...

www.shopzilla.com/8B--Musical_Instrument_Amplifiers_-_cat_id--521905__keyword--mackie m1400__search_box--1__sfsk--3

The m800 really isn't that much less...

www.shopzilla.com/buy/products.xpml?cat_id=521905&keyword=mackie m800&prerd=1&search_box=1&sfsk=3

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis