lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Let me start with the negatives.

-HDMI handshake issues from hell with my tv tuner. The Onkyo was never this bad.
-Dolby Digital from my tv sometimes only has 2 channels of audio.
-The EQ nowhere near AS. IMO AS is worth every penny. I would gladly take my 705 back in a heart beat.
-I just like Black. My woman has dark hair for a reason.

Positives.
-Price(Cheapest HDMI processing receiver I know of.)
-Flawless with PS3
-No picture issues.
-On Screen Volume Control(this is so cool)
-Pretty good On Screen Menus.
-Simpler EQ and setup.

Suggestions

-When switching between HDMI and Toslink your LFE response will improve with Toslink. So be prepared to tweak

-If you want to use a dolby digital device I highly suggest using Toslink and Component cables to connect to the receiver. Life is simpler this way.

-Familiarize yourself with the control. It's not to bad.

Overall conclusions.

If I could go back I would make the IRS pry my Onkyo from my hands. This downgrade is just hard to take. Or maybe I won't care in a couple years. I'm young and hobbys can change.

Still for 205 shipped from ebay I don't think a better receiver can be had. Full warranty and all.

Sound wise it's great. For a newb this is probably a great deal. For a hardcore techy or audiophile look elsewhere. But you already knew that.

A

allargon

Audioholic General
I know this is a review. However, I have the exact same receiver and want to comment plus ask a few questions.

I will test for a difference between HDMI and Toslink. I know of a difference with DD and PCM for LFE. However, I never noticed one w/ HDMI and SPDIF.

Component? Component is a nightmare with this receiver unless you run 720p and below. This receiver transcodes and upconverts 720p and below from all analog inputs (like you old school folks using composite and S-video) to 720p out of the HDMI output. There is no running component at 720p out to 720p. If you want component video out (i.e., you have a pre-HDMI display), you better run 1080i. For 1080i component in, it runs component out at 1080i.

Video processing? It uses Faroudja. So, of course it sucks.

$205? I paid less for mine as an open box at Fry's. :p

OSD controls? They only overlay when the video is 720p or below. There is no OSD for 1080i/p.

IMHO, the sound is good. It's nice and warm--HK style. Mine isn't taxed too much. It drives two Infinity P362's and a PC250. A Dayton Titanic MKIII 15" hangs off as well.

By the by, are you running the latest firmware?

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I know this is a review. However, I have the exact same receiver and want to comment plus ask a few questions.

I will test for a difference between HDMI and Toslink. I know of a difference with DD and PCM for LFE. However, I never noticed one w/ HDMI and SPDIF.

Component? Component is a nightmare with this receiver unless you run 720p and below. This receiver transcodes and upconverts 720p and below from all analog inputs (like you old school folks using composite and S-video) to 720p out of the HDMI output. There is no running component at 720p out to 720p. If you want component video out (i.e., you have a pre-HDMI display), you better run 1080i. For 1080i component in, it runs component out at 1080i.

Video processing? It uses Faroudja. So, of course it sucks.

$205? I paid less for mine as an open box at Fry's. :p

OSD controls? They only overlay when the video is 720p or below. There is no OSD for 1080i/p.

IMHO, the sound is good. It's nice and warm--HK style. Mine isn't taxed too much. It drives two Infinity P362's and a PC250. A Dayton Titanic MKIII 15" hangs off as well.

By the by, are you running the latest firmware?
I can't get DD to work via HDMI lol.

I got it shipped straight from Harman Audio. So I'm sure it had the newest firmware. My PJ isn't even 1080p so I could care less and for the price the VP isn't too bad either.

Yeah very warm. It works really well with KEFs not so well with my RB kits. Which are overly warm. I've had to add dampening and am building new boxes as a result.

E

emrliquidlife

Junior Audioholic
I just hooked up my HK AVR 146. I realize that it is older than the model being reviewed, but its sound warrants a comment.

I was coming from Pioneer AV receiver. The sound output seemed small. The AVR 146 has a warmth and depth to the output. A solid improvement.

Ed

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I can't get DD to work via HDMI lol.

I got it shipped straight from Harman Audio. So I'm sure it had the newest firmware. My PJ isn't even 1080p so I could care less and for the price the VP isn't too bad either.

Yeah very warm. It works really well with KEFs not so well with my RB kits. Which are overly warm. I've had to add dampening and am building new boxes as a result.
Wanted to comment. I've noticed DD issues only with certain stations on my tuner lol. So I think this receiver is perfectly fine for Dolby Digital over HDMI.

F

farout

Audioholic Intern
award winning dennon avr-4800

a question for all what to buy dennon precision audio component THX surround EX avr-4800 2200.00 sale discontinued. will never find one. OR dennon avr-588 with all the HMDI plugs you need 299.00 no precision? too bad the generations could get together. but that would be bad for business.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis