HK 7300 - Upconvert/Video out signal - HELP

T

tuuney

Enthusiast
I brought home a new HK7300. Following their guideline to set up my system but there is no video signal output to the TV from all sources (even with the OSD)
My setting as follow:
DVD - S video out to receiver (DVD in)
Satellite - S video out to receiver (Video4 in)
then I hook up a Component Video cable out (monitor) to Toshiba 50HX51 (Color stream HD1 in).

I'm not concerning about the audio at this time yet since I need to see the OSD to make configuarion adjustments.

I spent hours on this but still don't see any picture coming out from the Toshiba.
This is the basic thing I could do but hopeless. Should I return the receiver or there is some compatible issue here.

Please advise.
Thanks mucho.

A

aarond

Full Audioholic
First, Why are you not using component video from DVD & Sat?
Second the 7300 has a very advanced video processor. Start at page 31 in the manual and go step by step. Make sure that the video processor is turned on. If the processor is on and everything setup correctly you may have a bad recvr.

aaron

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Usually, the OSD requires only a cheap yellow rca cable, and the rest of the components can be hooked up to a different input on the tv - the r/g/b or component in. S-Video is very outdated, and should be replaced asap with hdmi, dvi, or component cables. I would recommend calling an HK tech tomorrow and having him walk you through the setup. I'm sure there's nothing wrong with the receiver. Have you tried dvd or satellite to tv just to make sure the tv input is working properly?

T

tuuney

Enthusiast
Buckeyefan 1 said:
Usually, the OSD requires only a cheap yellow rca cable, and the rest of the components can be hooked up to a different input on the tv - the r/g/b or component in. S-Video is very outdated, and should be replaced asap with hdmi, dvi, or component cables. I would recommend calling an HK tech tomorrow and having him walk you through the setup. I'm sure there's nothing wrong with the receiver. Have you tried dvd or satellite to tv just to make sure the tv input is working properly?

Arond/Buckey:
First, My Sat receiver is not a HD unit so it doesn't have the Component output option.

Second, I would like to use the S-Video input to see how does the Upconversion work as they described it. My understanding is that the signal will be up convert to digital. am I misunderstand it?

Third, before buying this 7300, I used to connect the bit stream Component directly from DVD to the Toshiba TV input as I described. It works fine.

Forth, in regards to the S-video outdated, should I wait a little longer to buy an updated receiver with the HDMI or DVI capability since this one doesn't have it? I bought this brand new unit from a local store on sale last week for a total of $1350. The price is backed up to $2200 now.
the reason I got this one is thought it's a steal.

what do you think?

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
tuuney said:
Arond/Buckey:
First, My Sat receiver is not a HD unit so it doesn't have the Component output option.

Second, I would like to use the S-Video input to see how does the Upconversion work as they described it. My understanding is that the signal will be up convert to digital. am I misunderstand it?

Third, before buying this 7300, I used to connect the bit stream Component directly from DVD to the Toshiba TV input as I described. It works fine.

Forth, in regards to the S-video outdated, should I wait a little longer to buy an updated receiver with the HDMI or DVI capability since this one doesn't have it? I bought this brand new unit from a local store on sale last week for a total of $1350. The price is backed up to $2200 now.
the reason I got this one is thought it's a steal.

what do you think?
I don't think so. Your HK is a powerhouse. The new receivers from Denon and Yamaha with HDMI don't offer the same power supply, and won't drive demanding speakers like the 7300. You did get a steal on it. Be happy. S Video is outdated, but component isn't. It's not your receiver that's behind the times. It's your other components that don't have the r/g/b hookups. DCDI engines for upconverting are very expensive, and most receivers at twice the price don't offer it. I'd call HK and get some techie advice direct from them.

T

tuuney

Enthusiast
Buckeyefan 1 said:
I don't think so. Your HK is a powerhouse. The new receivers from Denon and Yamaha with HDMI don't offer the same power supply, and won't drive demanding speakers like the 7300. You did get a steal on it. Be happy. S Video is outdated, but component isn't. It's not your receiver that's behind the times. It's your other components that don't have the r/g/b hookups. DCDI engines for upconverting are very expensive, and most receivers at twice the price don't offer it. I'd call HK and get some techie advice direct from them.
Thanks to you Buckey! I called the tech per your advice and he's able to help me to figure that out in min. I must turn on the Faroudja in order to upconvert the signal.

Now, I'm able to play around with it as well as changing the configuration. I have to admit that this one is worth every penny and no wonder it's so called a flagship. I'm so exciting to discover different surround sound modes to advance features, especially with the video processing Faroudja.
Further more, its slicky remote also have couple macro buttons. I guess its function as same as the Harmony remote.

I sure will have to spend more time to configurate and operate it.
I'm a happi man now.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis