History of White Van speaker scam

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
Article from Digital Trends "The long and storied history of the white van speaker scam"

May be a useful reference to educate non-audio savvy friends and family.

The list of the "company names" (using that term in its loosest possible form) clumsily intended to deceive their targets was mildly entertaining, with names like: "Bach and Odin", "Paradyme", "Vanderbach" to highlight just a few.

In this day and age of smartphones and google searches it is surprising these SOBs are still able to ripoff anyone anymore.

Cheers,
XEagleDriver

Read more: http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/chat-box-swamp/130506-history-white-van-speaker-scam.html#ixzz3kPwg3HEl

Montucky

Montucky

Full Audioholic
These same sorts of scumbags have been hitting up Craigslist a lot lately, too. Mostly peddling "4K" projectors by brands you've never heard of, and usually from anywhere from $1000-5000. They almost always say they're getting rid of their "favorite toy" because they're having kids or some similarly lame story. If you look up those projectors, you'll see all sorts of horror stories about them. Total scams.

Look up electronics on your local CL and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Reminds me of that old Simpsons episode where Homer goes to a grey market superstore and he's looking at a Magnetbox, Sorny, and Panaphonics.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
It's unbelievable what people will believe when they don't have the knowledge. Same goes with the email scams, have heard some unbelievable stories how people have fell on them..

What saddens me though is that there is nothing you can do to stop things like this to happen as stupidy of people seems to have no limits in some cases. In some cases people have read about some of similar scams yet they fall for another.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
It's unbelievable what people will believe when they don't have the knowledge. Same goes with the email scams, have heard some unbelievable stories how people have fell on them..

What saddens me though is that there is nothing you can do to stop things like this to happen as stupidy of people seems to have no limits in some cases. In some cases people have read about some of similar scams yet they fall for another.

Yeah I've got a buddy who was in to online dating... ended up sending money to a Guy in Africa thinking it would get Her out of a situation at the airport.

As soon as he told me the back story, I just started laughing...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis