Hissing sound from speakers?

P

Pretzel

Audiophyte
Hi, I've recently bought a part of a hi-fi system - An amplifier and a pair of monitor speakers (NAD C320BEE and Monitor Audio Bronze 2). I am planning to buy a CDP soon too (NAD C521BEE), but I want to be sure *before* the purchase, that the problem I'm having now is caused by the fact that I'm using a cheap on-board computer soundcard, instead of a decent CDP.
This is, as I said, some sort of a hissing sound - it becomes stronger when I turn up the volume when no music is played, but it can also be heard on some of the songs I'm playing (good quality ones too [192k and more] )
So, can I buy the CDP and expect the hissing sound to disappear (as well as the sound quality to improve? :D)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Pretzel said:
Hi, I've recently bought a part of a hi-fi system - An amplifier and a pair of monitor speakers (NAD C320BEE and Monitor Audio Bronze 2). I am planning to buy a CDP soon too (NAD C521BEE), but I want to be sure *before* the purchase, that the problem I'm having now is caused by the fact that I'm using a cheap on-board computer soundcard, instead of a decent CDP.
This is, as I said, some sort of a hissing sound - it becomes stronger when I turn up the volume when no music is played, but it can also be heard on some of the songs I'm playing (good quality ones too [192k and more] )
So, can I buy the CDP and expect the hissing sound to disappear (as well as the sound quality to improve? :D)

One way to check is by disconnecting your computer from the amp to see if the hissing goes away. Actually disconnect all inputs to the amp and see if there is any hissing noise from the listening position.

If there, it is most likely the amp noise you hear. Or, there is a possibility of a ground loop.

If the hiss goes away, then it can be your computer card, or still a ground loop but unlikely if you don't also have a cable TV hooked up to the setup.
Let us know about your experimenting.

P

Pretzel

Audiophyte
I disconnected the computer (and any other input) from the amp, and no hissing sound at all :)
so I guess it's the crappy soundcard that does the problem.
thanks for the help. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis