Hisense TV recommendation

E

EJC

Audioholic Intern
Best option/recommendation for home theatre usage (reasonably dark room - albeit a little ambient light from surrounding room)

75inch U8N (ADS pro panel)
Or
85inch U7N (VA panel)

??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Best option/recommendation for home theatre usage (reasonably dark room - albeit a little ambient light from surrounding room)

Or
85inch U7N (VA panel)

??

Depends on how picky you are...you haven't stated what you really want the set to do.
I wouldn't own an ADSPro panel myself. Contrast is lacking and black bars aren't black.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord

Or
85inch U7N (VA panel)

??

By rtings reviews, they do consider them both solid options. One of the biggest things going for them is price.
Yet they also get tagged as buggy.
*shrugs

If stepping up in budget isn’t possible, then the next major question is what is your viewing distance? I get the idea of getting the largest screen you can, but there are tradeoffs. Gaming on too large a screen was fun but I also found myself missing messages that would flash in on the sidd

In my own usage, we have a spot which would warrant a much larger screen yet are limited in placement options and thus limited to a max 65” size.
Last year I was considering Hisense or TCLs for the great room because the price was right and the environment is more geared to passive viewing rather than HT or gaming. TCL raised prices to play with the big boys this year, which leaves Hisense.

happy hunting!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Why would you want a Hisense TV when you can get a Sony, Samsung, or LG?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Why would you want a Hisense TV when you can get a Sony, Samsung, or LG?
Price.
*shrugs

At 75”, where do Sony, Samsung and LG fall? As I mentioned earlier, even TCl now is selling at prices matching those manufacturers.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Likely cheaper for the size of TV he wants? Personally I would go for OLED but that is much more expensive.
I just looked at the Sam's Club local store. There's an 85" Samsung for $999 and an 86" LG for $999.

At Best Buy, there is an 85" Hisense for $950 and an 85" Sony for $1100. Not much difference. :D

Last edited:
isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Ever since the Hisense H9G four years ago, Hisense has been undercutting the big boys by giving excellent picture quality at half the price.
I have an H9G and a U8H.
Both have incredible picture quality.

Hisense is the Rtings darling the last 4 years.
I watch only the highest quality content from drives....and that is the catch.

If you stream (my sympathies), don't buy a Hisense. Their OS is buggy and weak.
You need a Sony or Samsung/LG to polish the turds you are given.

I strip mine down to bare bones...no apps, no internet.
Never had a problem.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Price.
*shrugs

At 75”, where do Sony, Samsung and LG fall? As I mentioned earlier, even TCl now is selling at prices matching those manufacturers.
What's the cheapest 85" Hisense TV?

Can't be that much less than $999 for an 86" LG or 85" Samsung or $1100 85" Sony.

@Tankini - what you think? Spend a little more for a Sony or Samsung or LG?

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General

Can't be that much less than $999 for an 86" LG or 85" Samsung or $1100 85" Sony.

These makers all have different lines at different prices.
Less than a grand for an 85 equals WalMart level crap.

Any LG that is not OLED is pure garbage....and you sure aint getting an 86 inch LG OLED for a grand.
The cheapest Hisense 85 that should be considered would be the U7 at 1700 dollars.

E

EJC

Audioholic Intern
Ok… I currently have a 55” LG OLED C1 and I feel I’ve outgrown the size… ie. the sound feels like it’s overpowering the screen size…
Would love to get a 83inch OLED but local prices are ridiculous @ $8000… compared to $2000 for a U7N 85inch or U8N 75inch…

Willing to compromise on a bit of picture quality to get better immersion with the home theatre sound…

Sony is not an option as it is not available locally…
LG mini led TV’s haven’t rated highly on any reviews either hence then options on Hisense… locally there is a 4 year warranty… double of any other brand here…

Seating position is roughly 3.3 meters

Looking for the best possible option to enjoy movies (80% of content that I watch)

Have a Panasonic UB820 4K player and Apple TV so not really worried about streaming directly from the Google OS…

E

EJC

Audioholic Intern
Also our local TCL range locally is garbage… we don’t even have the option of the QM8… and different panels are use here

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Whereabouts are you? Don’t have to be super specific, but metric puts you in Canada or Europe most likely. ;) Most of us are in the US, here, so that does affect conversation. ;)

E

EJC

Audioholic Intern
Whereabouts are you? Don’t have to be super specific, but metric puts you in Canada or Europe most likely. ;) Most of us are in the US, here, so that does affect conversation. ;)
Sunny South Africa

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Ok… I currently have a 55” LG OLED C1 and I feel I’ve outgrown the size… ie. the sound feels like it’s overpowering the screen size…
Would love to get a 83inch OLED but local prices are ridiculous @ $8000… compared to $2000 for a U7N 85inch or U8N 75inch…

Willing to compromise on a bit of picture quality to get better immersion with the home theatre sound…

Sony is not an option as it is not available locally…
LG mini led TV’s haven’t rated highly on any reviews either hence then options on Hisense… locally there is a 4 year warranty… double of any other brand here…

Seating position is roughly 3.3 meters

Looking for the best possible option to enjoy movies (80% of content that I watch)

Have a Panasonic UB820 4K player and Apple TV so not really worried about streaming directly from the Google OS…

I am currently waiting on delivery today. I have a 55” C4 coming, upgrading from a 49” x900f from Sony.
55” and my seating distance of 7-8’ match well. A 65” would fit in my room, but just barely between my Speakers. Front wall is only 11’, Speaks are ~6’ apart on center, driver to driver.

I think you will be disappointed switching to a Hisense from an LG. Size alone may impress for a little bit, but picture quality will definitely suffer somewhat… assuming you are keyed into that.

If you haven’t been able to compare side by side in a store, I would simply advise caution in that decision.

E

EJC

Audioholic Intern
I am currently waiting on delivery today. I have a 55” C4 coming, upgrading from a 49” x900f from Sony.
55” and my seating distance of 7-8’ match well. A 65” would fit in my room, but just barely between my Speakers. Front wall is only 11’, Speaks are ~6’ apart on center, driver to driver.

I think you will be disappointed switching to a Hisense from an LG. Size alone may impress for a little bit, but picture quality will definitely suffer somewhat… assuming you are keyed into that.

If you haven’t been able to compare side by side in a store, I would simply advise caution in that decision.
Not a critical watcher ie. not so bothered about nits, blooming etc. immersion is key
But yeah OLED quality is unmatched…

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Not a critical watcher ie. not so bothered about nits, blooming etc. immersion is key
But yeah OLED quality is unmatched…

Even for more passive experience, if it were available to you I would say get the X90L from last years Sony line up. Only reason I am upgrading my x900F is it has a known Dolby Vision bug where the hue randomly changes and really ruins the experience.

But, this is why location is important. ;)

As I said above, the only thing that makes me nervous about the Hisense is the reported bugginess of the OS. PQ in our greenroom is not a major concern; The Lady streams crap nonstop and is not concerned with such things. I don't watch sports and game in my room...

For your viewing distance, yo are right at the cusp of 75 or 85" displays. I get the urge to go bigger, but I would hate to give up even just a little PQ for the size.

Frankly this is a personal values thing, just like how much Subwoofer you need (or how many) and what quality Speaker you spend on. ;)

I think if those are your only 2 real options, you gotta decide for yourself. I haven't used one, though as stated have considered the U8 last year, and it's still on my list if I upgrade that room this model year.

I get where the other guys are coming from and agree... but local availability and pricing is a major component of the decision. :)

Tankini

Tankini

Senior Audioholic
Even for more passive experience, if it were available to you I would say get the X90L from last years Sony line up. Only reason I am upgrading my x900F is it has a known Dolby Vision bug where the hue randomly changes and really ruins the experience.

But, this is why location is important. ;)

As I said above, the only thing that makes me nervous about the Hisense is the reported bugginess of the OS. PQ in our greenroom is not a major concern; The Lady streams crap nonstop and is not concerned with such things. I don't watch sports and game in my room...

For your viewing distance, yo are right at the cusp of 75 or 85" displays. I get the urge to go bigger, but I would hate to give up even just a little PQ for the size.

Frankly this is a personal values thing, just like how much Subwoofer you need (or how many) and what quality Speaker you spend on. ;)

I think if those are your only 2 real options, you gotta decide for yourself. I haven't used one, though as stated have considered the U8 last year, and it's still on my list if I upgrade that room this model year.

I get where the other guys are coming from and agree... but local availability and pricing is a major component of the decision. :)

Lowest Sony XR85X90L 2K + tax. Samsung gonna cost you more. LG nothing, as @isolar8001 stated. LG OLED yeah without a doubt, EVO panel + they are Usually a few hundred cheaper than the Sony's OLED and are better in some aspects. As for Budget brands, mid levels, Hisense, TCL, pick one, some have no other choice but to go budget brands. The specs on paper are there, can get very bright. Some have those brand's and like them a lot. I've had nothing but issues with budget brands. I was disappointed to say the least because they're good T V's when they weren't acting up which was usually a few times a month no less.

Last edited:
Tankini

Tankini

Senior Audioholic
@OP, if your going to get a Hisense go with their U8N model. But on sale only. No way I'd pay full retail. Check out Rtings.com. Just Google, Hisense U8N reviews, than click the link to that site. Compare and research. Happy hunting!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis