highend audio and music as art

sts9fan

sts9fan

Banned
To me music is the most powerful art form. While I love the visual arts such as painting and sculpture neither of them invoke such a emotional response as music can. Music also in my mind has the wonderful attribute to be the most accessible art form to the masses. Ten to twenty bucks and you could own a copy of a masterpiece the likes of the world has never seen before and may never see again. I think that’s a bargain! I know you can get a poster of a Rembrandt for ten bucks but its not even close to the real thing. I guess people will say that cds are the same as posters but I think they are way closer to the real thing. Even more so with music that may not even be able to be played live or composed and preformed by less people then there are parts ie.Surfjan Stevens. So this brought me thinking on high-end audio. How the endless list of tweaks and ultra expensive gear that may or may not make a huge difference somewhat takes away one of the best attributes of music. I mean I think it is safe to say you could by a cd player for under 10k that would sound just as good as one for 20k. So why is there a market for the 20k model? Could it be a way for the privileged to feel like they are not enjoying the same art that I am on my 1k system? A way to separate ones self from the plebs. Just a thought I had.

Buckle-meister

Audioholic Field Marshall
sts9fan said:
...I think it is safe to say you could by a cd player for under 10k that would sound just as good as one for 20k. So why is there a market for the 20k model? Could it be a way for the privileged to feel like they are not enjoying the same art that I am on my 1k system? A way to separate ones self from the plebs?
For some folk, no doubt, but I dont think so in the majority of cases. I think it's just a case of people's tastes becoming more expensive the more disposable income they have available to spend.

Human nature.

Regards

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis