High-End (at the time) Home Theater: Upgrade Interest

A

audiophresh

Audiophyte
Hello,

My wife and I recently purchased a home with a high-end home theater room that is now significantly dated and we would really appreciate some advice on making the necessary upgrades. We've had two vendors in who have submitted proposals but I'm thinking I would really like to do the upgrades myself if at all possible. I'm a beginner to this particular space but do have an extensive background in other areas of technology and struggling to pay someone to do something I think I would really enjoy doing myself.

Here's some background on the setup:

- Closed off room: 15' x 20'
- Sim2 C3X Projector
- 4 wall mounted B&W speakers
- 2 standing 3' B&W speakers (left and right of the DALITE screen)
- 2 B&W sub-woofers (built-in and hidden under the screen)
- 1 B&W middle speaker/sub-woofer (built-in and hidden under the screen - between the two sub-woofers above)
- ROTEL Surround Sound Processor RSP-1068
- NAKAMICHI MB-4S CD Player
- DENON DVD-3930CI
- ROTEL Power Amplifier RB-1080
- DENON AM/FM Stereo Receiver DRA-697CI
- Panamax M4300-EX
- ROTEL 5-Channel Power Amplifier RMB-1095

It's my understanding that I only need to upgrade the RSP-1068 (and put the Nakamichi at the curb!) in order to bring this system up-to-date in a reasonable way. I'm thinking either the DENON AVR-X6400H or the MARANTZ AV7705 based on vendor recommendations. But I can't help but wonder if we need that many channels (11.2) if we're not planning to expand the system throughout the house any further. We've started installing SONOS in other parts of the home so I don't think we'll need more than what the current ROTEL component is providing. The main reason for us wanting to upgrade the system is so we can add HDMI devices (e.g., PS4, Apple TV, HD Xfinity cable box, etc.) and also so we can utilize our Spotify accounts via the WiFi over the existing speakers (which do extend outside of this room). Right now I'm having to hook the PS4 directly to the Sim2 projector via a HDMI cable and also wear a set of compatible PS4 Bluetooth headphones in order to play and listen to games.

Does anyone have any recommendations or advice for this setup? Would it be possible for me to upgrade this receiver with the DENON or MARANTZ unit I've mentioned on my own? I'm happy to share some pictures if that would help.

Thank you all for the the time and expert advice. I really appreciate the feedback and apologize in advance for any blatant beginner ignorance.

A

audiophresh

Audiophyte
Thanks for the reply, Ken. The vendors are recommending we upgrade the ROTEL RSP-1068 (to the receivers I mentioned - DENON or MARANTZ) and also the Universal Remote (which I forgot to mention in my original post). We're currently using an MX-3000 which I don't think they make any longer. I have my eye on the Savant S2 so I would also be curious what others think of that option as well. My second and third options are the Home Theater Master MX-980 and MRF-350.

A

audiophresh

Audiophyte
Let me also add that both vendors want around $700.00 to install the unit. Now to be fair that also includes removing the NAKAMICHI and replacing it with the PS4 (which is currently on the floor).

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
That is probably a very good system. I would NOT buy a receiver. I think the only thing that really needs replacing is the RSP-1068 with an up to date pre pro. I would use a Marantz AV preamp. You should replace the NAK CD player with a BD player and the PS4 is a good start. Then see how you like it, without making further changes until there is a problem you might want to address.

In a system like that I would absolutely stay away from receivers. They are nasty devices of convenience.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
I highly recommend Triad Speakers. They were a Dolby partner in developing Atmos, and they make fantastic home theater speakers.

Brief description:

Triad is a Portland-based company that hand builds speakers in just about every configuration you can imagine. They will even color match the speakers and grills to match the paint on your walls. Triad has In-Wall and angled InCeiling speakers and subwoofers that work amazingly well for spaces in which you have no floor space, or when you wish to hide the speakers from view. The company builds speakers in many different price ranges, starting at $300 per speaker - all the way up to $15k per speaker. They are perfect for DIYers.

www.triadspeakers.com

If you need any help with Triad let me know.
Regards,
Dawn

Last edited:
A

audiophresh

Audiophyte
That is probably a very good system. I would NOT buy a receiver. I think the only thing that really needs replacing is the RSP-1068 with an up to date pre pro. I would use a Marantz AV preamp. You should replace the NAK CD player with a BD player and the PS4 is a good start. Then see how you like it, without making further changes until there is a problem you might want to address.

In a system like that I would absolutely stay away from receivers. They are nasty devices of convenience.
Thanks TLS Guy, I appreciate the advice. I think I used the word 'receiver' incorrectly when explaining what I'm planning to do. I'm looking at the Marantz AV7705 (or 704) to replace the Rotel RSP-1068. I'm just wondering if I need something that powerful. Also, do you think I'm making a mistake by trying to do this upgrade on my own? Looking at the back of this rack is very intimidating. :) If you could recommend any educational resources that could help me with this project I would appreciate it. I've obviously been doing some searches but your experienced direction on where I could find some good help would be great.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I'd upgrade the subs in addition to the preamp. Not many, (1 or 2) B&W subs work well for HT.

A

audiophresh

Audiophyte
I highly recommend Triad Speakers. They were a Dolby partner in developing Atmos, and they make fantastic home theater speakers.

Brief description:

Triad is a Portland-based company that hand builds speakers in just about every configuration you can imagine. They will even color match the speakers and grills to match the paint on your walls. Triad has In-Wall and angled InCeiling speakers and subwoofers that work amazingly well for spaces in which you have no floor space, or when you wish to hide the speakers from view. The company builds speakers in many different price ranges, starting at $300 per speaker - all the way up to $15k per speaker. They are perfect for DIYers.

If you need any help with Triad let me know.
Regards,
Dawn
Thank you, Dawn. I'm good on speakers for now.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Marantz AV7705 $2200
Yamaha CX-A5200 $2475

Denon X4400 $900
Yamaha RX-A2070 $1200

Might want to check out the threads about “AVR vs separates” and “Denon/Marantz vs Yamaha”.

Some people prefer separates pre-pro over AVR for our Primarily system. Nothing wrong with that. Just personal preference. But it’s not because separates pre-pro actually sounds any better than AVR. A lot of people think they sound the same.

If you’re concerned about reliability, then Yamaha might be a better choice.

According to @M Code, Yamaha is #1 in reliability and the only major brand that extensively tests for HDMI compatibility.

I was going to say that Sony might also be very reliable because they offer a 5YR warranty on their ES AVR, but Sony doesn’t make Pre-Pro like Marantz and Yamaha.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Thanks TLS Guy, I appreciate the advice. I think I used the word 'receiver' incorrectly when explaining what I'm planning to do. I'm looking at the Marantz AV7705 (or 704) to replace the Rotel RSP-1068. I'm just wondering if I need something that powerful. Also, do you think I'm making a mistake by trying to do this upgrade on my own? Looking at the back of this rack is very intimidating. :) If you could recommend any educational resources that could help me with this project I would appreciate it. I've obviously been doing some searches but your experienced direction on where I could find some good help would be great.
Either the Marantz or the Yamaha would be fine. I would opt for the AV 7705 if you are planning to update to 4K. Any pre/pro is now going to have more channels than you need for your system.

I see one problem that I did not note before. I looked up the specs of your projector and it does not have an HDMI input. We are now past the analog sunset and new gear will not output an analog signal from and HDMI source by law. So I'm afraid that projector has to go. So you might as well upgrade to 4K since making this change is mandatory for you. Sorry I missed that, but I was not familiar with that projector. The RSP 1068 I am very familiar with as my late father had one. In its day a fine unit.

As far as doing it yourself, it is a matter of plugging everything in correctly. I hope you can run an HDMI cable to the projector. Hopefully the installer ran the cables in conduit. If not you may have a major construction project on your hands. I have all cables in conduit. This is the way it should be but usually is not.

When you change the pre/pro, then all the cabling will be different except to the amp.

Run all your source units to the Pre/pro with HDMI cables, and one HDMI cable out to the projector.

How far is it from the pre/pro to your projector? If it is further than 25 ft, then that can be a problem.

Really this is a job you can do yourself, unless you have to open walls or ceilings to change the projector.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So no mention of how the room construction makes this high end particularly? Just asking as it's not just about electronics and speakers....

carlthess40

carlthess40

Audioholic
What’s your location? I’m in central Florida and would be more then happy to help you out without and fees. Just a audio nut that likes to help

A

audiophresh

Audiophyte
Either the Marantz or the Yamaha would be fine. I would opt for the AV 7705 if you are planning to update to 4K. Any pre/pro is now going to have more channels than you need for your system.

I see one problem that I did not note before. I looked up the specs of your projector and it does not have an HDMI input. We are now past the analog sunset and new gear will not output an analog signal from and HDMI source by law. So I'm afraid that projector has to go. So you might as well upgrade to 4K since making this change is mandatory for you. Sorry I missed that, but was not familiar with that projector. The RSP 1068 I am very familiar with as my late father had one. In its day a fine unit.

As far as doing it yourself, it is a matter of plugging everything in correctly. I hope you can run an HDMI cable to the projector. Hopefully the installer ran the cables in conduit. If not you may have a major construction project on your hands. I have all cables in conduit. This is the way it should be but usually is not.

When you change the pre/pro, then all the cabling will be different except to the amp.

Run all your source units to the Pre/pro with HDMI cables, and one HDMI cable out to the projector.

How far is it from the pre/pro to your projector? If it is further than 25 ft, then that can be a problem.

Really this is a job you can do yourself, unless you have to open walls or ceilings to change the projector.
Thanks for the helpful feedback. I really appreciate it. I forgot to mention that the Sim2 is the grand cinema edition and does have a single HDMI input which is currently occupied. I think this is my projector's specifications here.

I'm thinking I'll go with the Marantz AV7705 but I'm concerned about it fitting on the current rack as it seems like a tall unit. Probably a foolish question but; safe to assume I'll be able to adjust the shelves in the rack in order to make room? It's a 6' or so tall rack that fits very nicely in a closet in the back of the room. Fortunately the back of the closet has a door as well which can be accessed from right outside of the room so I can get to the rack from both sides. They really thought of everything. Thanks again for all the advice and encouragement to do this own my own. I think I will.

A

audiophresh

Audiophyte
What’s your location? I’m in central Florida and would be more then happy to help you out without and fees. Just a audio nut that likes to help
Thanks. That would be awesome. I'm near Philadelphia though.

Last edited:
A

audiophresh

Audiophyte
So no mention of how the room construction makes this high end particularly? Just asking as it's not just about electronics and speakers....
Thanks for the post. I'm a bit unclear on your question but I'll do my best to describe the room. It has stadium seating with 2-rows of leather recliners (6 total). The walls have a fabric like cushion feel and the ceiling is recessed if that makes sense. Total of 19 lights; 5 wall sconces and the rest in the ceiling. There's also a curtain (which doesn't move and just there for the look) on both sides of the screen. They also added a curtain to the door which you can move to cover it which seems unnecessary. Thanks again.

KaatheSnake

KaatheSnake

Senior Audioholic
Thanks for the post. I'm a bit unclear on your question but I'll do my best to describe the room. It has stadium seating with 2-rows of leather recliners (6 total). The walls have a fabric like cushion feel and the ceiling is recessed if that makes sense. Total of 19 lights; 5 wall sconces and the rest in the ceiling. There's also a curtain (which doesn't move and just there for the look) on both sides of the screen. They also added a curtain to the door which you can move to cover it which seems unnecessary. Thanks again.
Welcome to AH! You'll like it here! I'm not very good with home theater equipment, I'm better with vintage analog audio recording equipment such as reel to reels, but I wish I could help you!
Regards,
Ryan

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I was more looking for room construction specifics as to how well isolated it is. The description you provide could still go either way. I assume it's nice aesthetically....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis