High Efficient Floorstanding Loudspeaker Roundup 2017 AXPONA

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
In this segment of our coverage of the AXPONA audio show, we demoed larger, high-sensitivity horn loaded speakers that were really capitivating. The size of these speakers precludes them from finding a home in the living rooms of quite a few folks out there, but those who do find a place for them will be rewarded with effortless dynamics and a very detailed sound. These speakers can be powered to great effect with very modest amplifiers as well.

Check out our continued coverage of AXPONA 2017 as we give a listen to speakers with a bit more brawn.

Read: High Efficient Floorstanding Loudspeaker Roundup 2017 AXPONA

U

utopianemo

Junior Audioholic
Did you guys make it to the JTR booth? I heard pretty good things about what they were doing this year.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Yes, we did make it to the JTR room, Jeff brought an amazing setup. We put up some pictures on the Audioholics facebook page.

L. White

L. White

Audiophyte
$95K for updated-retro Klipsch Jubilee's, LOL. For a GREAT DEAL less then $95K, a set of the real thing (Klipsch) can be had, refurbed (to include the cabinets).

Then, utilize the remaining thousands (10's) on the remaining hi-fi equipment to power/play through the Jubies (real-ones), seats, room to enjoy it all with the sound that inspired those $95K replicants.

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The Destination speakers are not Jubilees. They use the same horn system for the bass cabinet, but that is it. They use some heavy duty 16" drivers whereas the Jubilees used some 12"s. The Horn is completely different, it uses JBL's Bi-radial design. The tweeter system is entirely different. The assembly process for the Destination speakers is on another level from the manufacture of Jubilees. There is far more going on there than Jubilee clones.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Samurai
There is far more going on there than Jubilee clones.
Doesn't seem like that much more. $88,000 more? Do those guys know that much more about speaker engineering than PWK did? The Jubilee was his final design, after all.

Were there any unity horn types at the show? Much smaller footprint, at least relative to something like those Jub clones.

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
My understanding is that the Jubilee is more Roy Delgado's design than anything. As for the Destination Audio speaker, the bass horn looks like it uses the same geometry as the Jubilee, but the similarities look to end there. It is a larger horn that uses 16" drivers instead of 12"s. And the mid-horn and tweeter are nothing like the Jubilees.

I didn't see any Unity horns. I have heard them in the past a couple times, including some of the Danley horns, they do sound very good. Strange that we don't see any 'audiophile' Unity horns, but maybe that is because Danley has the patents and wants to control the use of that design?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis