Hi-Res music - Why do we need a special format?

b_panther_g

b_panther_g

Audioholic
Hi-def DVDs are coming, maybe as early as next year. They will have the ability to have Hi-Res audio (see here
and here).

So why do we need DVD-A and/or SACD? Apparently both Blue-Ray and HD-DVD will be able to support lossless audio. How can you do better than lossless?

Wouldn’t it make sense for music companies to just make DVDs?

Later,
B

Last edited by a moderator:
Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

No comments on this one? I've wondered that myself. Right now of course, I'll stick with my SACDs & DVD-As since the new formats are vaporware. It's really hard to tell when they'll be available, and how much it will cost. And of course, there may not be any "regular music" released in those formats. But it is tantalizing. Imagine a concert video with a Hi Rez MLP surround soundtrack @ 24/96 or better.

The short answer: if the new HD DVD formats (whichever comes out on top) truly do incorporate a lossless 24 bit (or the equivalent) audio tracks, we won't really need SACD/DVD-A. It won't be so much that those formats will be replaced, more like they'll be "absorbed." The HD DVD spec looks like it will support the exact same implementation of Meridian Lossless Packing that's used for DVD-A right now.

Maybe in a few years we'll actually find a "Holy Grail" of sorts: a truly universal media carrier that can be used for HD film, music & data. No more blizzard of acronyms! ;) :D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
b_panther_* said:
Hi-def DVDs are coming, maybe as early as next year. They will have the ability to have Hi-Res audio (see here
and here).

So why do we need DVD-A and/or SACD? Apparently both Blue-Ray and HD-DVD will be able to support lossless audio. How can you do better than lossless?

Later,
B
Eventually, DVD blue will take over, or something more convenient, like a HD solid stick, no moving parts. Hard to imagine what migh be in 20 years, 50 years. I guess we can look at some si-fi movies for ideas? :D

M

moverton

Audioholic
DVD for audio

I just hope they make it easy to use these without a display. I bought a few dvd-a's recently and it seems like you need an actual video display to be able to pick the format (stereo/5.1,etc). I'd eventualy like to be able to use hidef audio in the car.

b_panther_* said:
and here).

Later,
B

D

djoxygen

Full Audioholic
mtrycrafts said:
Eventually, DVD blue will take over, or something more convenient, like a HD solid stick, no moving parts. Hard to imagine what migh be in 20 years, 50 years. I guess we can look at some si-fi movies for ideas? :D
In a few decades, we will have holographic storage in clear crystals that are read with ultraviolet lasers all with no moving parts. Watch a little Trek for a glimpse (funny how life imitates "art" sometimes). But the data that are stored on them will probably be just as confused by politics and marketing as HD video and Hi-res audio are today.

Part of the problem with lossless audio (from the publishers' points-of-view) is that without encryption anyone can divert the audio data to the purpose of making copies rather than making noise for their personal enjoyment. Although they don't make it impossible, DTS and other encodings make it more difficult to pirate. Sadly, there is too much fragmentation in the politics of DRM to make protected, lossless audio a reality for the masses just yet.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

The "data crystals" are a Babylon 5 tidbit, and I've heard that such a thing has been effectively created (not necessarily close to being commercially viable...). Supposedly you're talking data density that could get the friggin' Library of Congress on a golf-ball sized crystal! :eek: Assuming you could access the data quickly and had a wide data pipeline, data compression schemes like DTS or DD would be irrelevant.

Piracy will probably always be an issue until some new business model is created that reflects the reality of the situation. I seriously doubt it's possible to create an encryption system that won't be cracked within a month, and creating ever more draconian punishments for copying will only lead to resentment & ill will. At any rate, how severely can you be punished and stay within the limits of the constitution? What's an fair punishment for "stealing" a $.99 song? How about a $15 movie?

I still think it would be great to have one carrier, used for movies, music, games, data, etc. It would simplify the hardware end and streamline distribution considerably.

It's probably too good an idea to ever be implemented, though. ;)

D

djoxygen

Full Audioholic
Yes, holographic data storage is working in the labs. Probably won't be ready for Christmas... 2008. But it's on the way.

I agree that one unified media delivery format that could encompass text, still images, video, games, audio, and more would be phenomenal.

You're right that there's no encryption that won't be cracked. Even the RIAA, MPAA and their lawyers realize that it's mostly just an inconvenience like the lock on your front door is to a determined burglar. And from their point of view, it's not the people who borrow a movie or two from a friend and rip it instead of buying it that they're concerned about. That $50 isn't worth going after, it's the people who share out thousands of movies and songs and the people that never pay for *anything*. (Something like 30% of young adults today don't think they should have to pay for music at all.)

They need to change their mindset, and so do "we".

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis