Hi, I'm new. I'm also an idiot. Please help me!

nick_danger

nick_danger

Audioholic
I know enough about HT setups and have the buying power to get myself in a lot of trouble, but I'm trying to stay conservative. I also don't want a HT-in-a-box. It will be a dedicated HT for DVD movies and Xbox gaming. Here's what I have in mind:

Yamaha HTR-5790
Yamaha NS-777 (FR, FL)
Yamaha NS-333 (SR, SL)
Yamaha NS-C444 (C)
Yamaha YST-SW800 (LFE)

Now, I realize that the SW800 is probably more sub than the rest of the system can handle, but I'd like to think of the other equipment as placeholders until I can afford HX speakers and (God willing) an RX-Z9.

Would it be unwise for me to use 777s for the surrounds as well in place of the 333s? I guess I'd prefer to have them all the same, but would that be overkill? It seems that more movies are really utilizing surrounds more, but I realize that most sound comes from the center, so perhaps I should focus on getting the best center I can afford? This is where I get into trouble, because I start second-guessing myself.

I'll admit that I'm mostly a Yamaha guy, but I'm willing to hear alternatives. I think you can tell by my choices that I'm shooting for the $2-3K range. Great site and thanks in advance for any and all support.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis