Hi' everyone i am seeking knowledge :)

U

USAWARRIOR

Enthusiast
My First post here after search/reading and wondering where i might fall into the mix of this enjoyment although I haven't given it to much thought as a hobbie just yet, but I am hoping to get things setup and enjoy watching a good movie without the struggles of "dialogue" wait' what did she just say ?moment ; argh.! Lol. So I'm here now seeking knowledge and so I'll try to share what I have done so far I'm some what of a DIY guy please restrain from laughing to hard but my pockets are shallow i think i did ok though #1determined my living room size small 16' wide x 18' long. viewing at the 16' wall 65" smart screen from my love recliner 5' off the back wall, I've been reading;) so far so good ? #2 budget plan > find good used items from those who are upgrading or from the good old storage war fleamarkets/ Ect . This is what I have purchased used. I think it's pretty much what I need for a basic starter kit :) . With a few more Speakers than anticipated.
Speakers:
#1 Klipsch RVX42 x three.
#2 Bose acoustimass lll the small dual split swivel type ?? I have four of these.
#3 klipsch Quintet x four.
#4 klipsch SW-350 Subwoofer one.
#5 Velodyne CHT-8 Subwoofer one.
#6 Yamaha AVR RX-V675. 7.2
so this is what I have to work with for now and hoping to receive some knowledge so i can begin to do a more permanent setting i have only done a temporary setting and have down loaded the latest software for the avr. But i don't know where to begin at least basic dbs points to start with on speakers, nor a decisions on what speakers are best left out and the keepers. what channels are best utilised for these speakers ?
I See I'm rambling blah blah blah !
Please help share your knowledge place yourself with these items and room setting. What would your build be for me. feal free to subtract any of the items listed.
Thanks. Native Warrior

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I wouldn't bother using the Bose speakers in that type of system. I would just use the Klipsch speakers, and use the quintets as surround speakers for now. You might think about adding a center speaker though. Do not use one of the Bose speakers as a center. If I were you, I would just look for a single Klipsch bookshelf speaker or center speaker for use as center channel.

Regarding setup, you might just run the YPAO calibration for getting all speakers setup automatically. Refer to the Yamaha's manual to run YPAO. Try to place the speakers so they have this kind of placement relative to the listening position:

For subwoofer placement, you might start with one in the corner and one right behind your listening seat. If that doesn't sound good, keep placing them in different locations until you get spots that you think they sound good in.

U

USAWARRIOR

Enthusiast
Hi shadyJare
Are the RVX42 Not good for a center speaker.

U

USAWARRIOR

Enthusiast
Ok cool also I have the option of placing the surround and back speakers on the ceiling or floor what is considered best ?

U

USAWARRIOR

Enthusiast
I wouldn't bother using the Bose speakers in that type of system. I would just use the Klipsch speakers, and use the quintets as surround speakers for now. You might think about adding a center speaker though. Do not use one of the Bose speakers as a center. If I were you, I would just look for a single Klipsch bookshelf speaker or center speaker for use as center channel.

Regarding setup, you might just run the YPAO calibration for getting all speakers setup automatically. Refer to the Yamaha's manual to run YPAO. Try to place the speakers so they have this kind of placement relative to the listening position:

For subwoofer placement, you might start with one in the corner and one right behind your listening seat. If that doesn't sound good, keep placing them in different locations until you get spots that you think they sound good in.
I tried the YPAO with mic on a tripod and I keep getting a noise level on every attempt and when I choose the proceed action it gives me results that are all wakodoodle. So im back to manually setting with all speakers set to small buy the way and left wondering where a good Db starting point would be ? I tried searching this forum for a guide in basic starting parameter maybe someone can lead me to such a post. Thanks for any help lady's and gents that care to take the time to share basic 101it would help me and possibly others that are new to this hobbie and thanks again for your response shadyJ

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Ok cool also I have the option of placing the surround and back speakers on the ceiling or floor what is considered best ?
I would try to place them on floor stands.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I tried the YPAO with mic on a tripod and I keep getting a noise level on every attempt and when I choose the proceed action it gives me results that are all wakodoodle. So im back to manually setting with all speakers set to small buy the way and left wondering where a good Db starting point would be ? I tried searching this forum for a guide in basic starting parameter maybe someone can lead me to such a post. Thanks for any help lady's and gents that care to take the time to share basic 101it would help me and possibly others that are new to this hobbie and thanks again for your response shadyJ
Set all speakers to small, and then you might level match them all at 75 dB.

U

USAWARRIOR

Enthusiast
Set all speakers to small, and then you might level match them all at 75 dB.
75 dB the only options i see in the menu are under level settings or the perametric EQ that only allow me a scale setting of 0.0 + - I can set a 7.5 dB + - up to 10.0 but no 75dB so I have been back and fourth from the beginner's guide on the sticky post to here learning what I can I'll get it figured out or get the answers at some point , thanks again,chat soon.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
75 dB the only options i see in the menu are under level settings or the perametric EQ that only allow me a scale setting of 0.0 + - I can set a 7.5 dB + - up to 10.0 but no 75dB so I have been back and fourth from the beginner's guide on the sticky post to here learning what I can I'll get it figured out or get the answers at some point , thanks again,chat soon.
When he says matching at 75dB he means with a measurement tool (spl meter, measurement mic), not the individual trim levels as you were mentioning. Just run YPAO in your avr and let it set it automatically...

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
"Keep getting a noise level error"
Usually, this means that room has too much background noise - ie: noisy fridge, AC, fans, kids, pets, etc...
Try to eliminate it as much as possible and surely don't walk around during measurement.
If this doesn't work or not possible, you don't have to use YPAO at all. In Yamaha setup, set speaker distances manually and you could get inexpensive SPL meter to measure and set speakers levels.
Definitely set speakers to SMALL and sub crossover point to 100hz or higher.

U

USAWARRIOR

Enthusiast
Thanks for the info you guys have given me it is very helpful along with reading others posting. I am gaining a better understanding of bass management.
settings so far are done manually by ear until I can pick up a spl meter. all 7 speakers set to small. Subwoofer (normal or reverse ? ) @100Hz
Front LR set at 8' with a neg 2.5dB. Center at 9' with a neg 3.0dB. Surround side LR at 7.4' with neg 1.0dB
Surround back LR at 8.6' with neg 2.0dB i decided to install these two on the the ceiling at a 45° back at my command seatall others aside from sub and center are at ear level. the center speaker is laid horizontal on fp mantel with a pitch wedge for correction. I ran a test tone while making the manual settings attempting to get equal volume tones from all points. So after reading and listening to the info I have gathered here and trying not to get overwhelmed and lost with all the lango/terminology uhg. This is what I have accomplished so far and tested the sound with a couple of the YouTube video surround sound and I am amazed with the clarity and movement coming at me from angles as the object's approach or pass
I am happy with mounting the back surround on the ceiling i pick up the littlest sounds that belong there so cool. Just wanted to share and ask for input on trying different setting ect. Thanks a bunch.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis