Francious70

Francious70

Senior Audioholic
Hi, I am a new poster to this forum. I've been lurking for a few days and decided to sign up. I'm quite experienced in the world of car audio, but home audio is a completely different ball park. So for all purposes, I know nothing about it. I hope to contribute when I actually know somthing, which will be rarely, but some things are the same.

As of now, I have a noobie system:

1 Onkyo TX-DS595
2 Fisher left and right front speakers
2 Unbranded cubes for surrounds
1 Center of the same make as the surrounds
0 Subwoofers

I hope to be upgrading SOON, because these speakers are CHEAP. I'm used to Hi-fi in my car, as I run SQ competitions.

What should the first upgrade be?? I was thinking the front left and right. Any suggustions/comments??

Paul

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
Welcome! Definately the first upgrade to any system is the main speakers unless another component is really a POS. Search the speaker forum for ideas. Lots of good ones out there at various prices; I won't/can't offer specific suggestions because these days I'm a DIY-er.

Just remember the main difference between home audio and car audio is: home audio runs on AC! :D

Francious70

Francious70

Senior Audioholic
Well, I've done some looking, and have decided that I want bookshelf speakers, not cubes. I was thinking either some Tannoy's or Polk's. Possibly Infinity's (I run nothing but Infinity's speakers in my car, but there's no bias there. :D) Would anyone have some suggestions on what speakers to listen to?? I'm kinda fortunate to have a Best Buy, Electronics Express, H.H. Gregg, and Audiovisions which all have LARGE home theater areas.

I have also heard that athena makes some good speakers for <$250.00

Paul

*EDIT*
Just remember the main difference between home audio and car audio is: home audio runs on AC!
True, kinda. The amps and power sources take in DC, but spit out AC. :D

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
Listen to anything and everything. You should also listen to speakers way over your budget. That way you can truly decide what is best for your ears/pocket. More than anything else LISTEN. Do not buy anything you haven't heard. Even then, listen twice before buying. If you have a significant other take that person with you when making a final decision. There's nothing worse than getting your latest coffin sized boxes home and be told they have to go. Above all listen before buying. If you can't audition them don't buy them. :cool:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis