Hey folks got a problem with a Yamaha RX-A 3020 reciever firmware

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
got a Yamaha RX-A 3020 a week ago while watching a movie the decoder shut off and I had no sound but still have picture . I checked the info screen and it said there was no firmware version called Yamaha support and they said to update to the latest version now it gives me an error code 0400 any body have any ideas whats going on with this receiver its a fine unit bought it new 5 years ago never had any issues till now iam at a loss . Yamaha support really wasn't much help . Its like it doesn't detect the audio at all from any source . any ideas what the error codes mean this is way deeper than my knowledge ,

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It had no firmware but still functioned in part? Or did it say firmware version needed updating or ? Sounds pretty odd, usually firmware problems are while you're updating. I'd go back to Yamaha support and maybe have them connect you with a more technical person than the usual customer service person....

ps Personally first thing I'd try would be a soft reset when what seemingly is just an hdmi handshake issue...assuming you were using an hdmi connected source....

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
It had no firmware but still functioned in part? Or did it say firmware version needed updating or ? Sounds pretty odd, usually firmware problems are while you're updating. I'd go back to Yamaha support and maybe have them connect you with a more technical person than the usual customer service person....

ps Personally first thing I'd try would be a soft reset when what seemingly is just an hdmi handshake issue...assuming you were using an hdmi connected source....[/QU

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
thanks yea still got picture and sound when I just use the pass threw threw the unit but oddly enough now sound from anywhere from this unit now when I try to update it will stop at the end of the up date and give me an error 0400 no idea what that means . Indeed I did a soft reset of the processer still nothing even did a factory reset it auto calabrated just fine but put disc in no sound from any source . and it still says no firmware version I know this sounds pretty weird lol but thanks for responding !!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
thanks yea still got picture and sound when I just use the pass threw threw the unit but oddly enough now sound from anywhere from this unit now when I try to update it will stop at the end of the up date and give me an error 0400 no idea what that means . Indeed I did a soft reset of the processer still nothing even did a factory reset it auto calabrated just fine but put disc in no sound from any source . and it still says no firmware version I know this sounds pretty weird lol but thanks for responding !!
If the resets don't do it I think you'll need Yamaha's help. Beyond warranty I assume?

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Yea iam afraid it is my need a trip to service center .

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Take this for what you paid for it!
I'm sketchy on the details (it wasn't a problem I have had),but I have read that some people have a problem with firmware updates, but if they download the update at a computer onto a jumpdrive or SD card the update will complete.
Like I say, I'm sketchy on the details, but maybe someone familiar with this will come by and explain further or that this does not apply to your circumstance.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Take this for what you paid for it!
I'm sketchy on the details (it wasn't a problem I have had),but I have read that some people have a problem with firmware updates, but if they download the update at a computer onto a jumpdrive or SD card the update will complete.
Like I say, I'm sketchy on the details, but maybe someone familiar with this will come by and explain further or that this does not apply to your circumstance.[/

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Thanks Ken I down loaded it from yamahas firmware page . when I first tried it the unit didn't have a reconasible firmware version showing on the info page in the menu page which is what I told the support guru at Yamaha now when I try to update it it codes out before its done iv herd of problems with updates it seems it wiped the firmware out the processer as it shows nothing but the weird thing is all my settings and calabrations are still stored .

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
update talked to actual service tech yesterday went threw the whole problem he said it sounds more like a main board went south on me or at least parts of it so ill send it to them and let them have a look at it cost of new board anywhere from 380,00 to 500.00 depends on model , thanks so much for ideas and help Gentlemen !!!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
update talked to actual service tech yesterday went threw the whole problem he said it sounds more like a main board went south on me or at least parts of it so ill send it to them and let them have a look at it cost of new board anywhere from 380,00 to 500.00 depends on model , thanks so much for ideas and help Gentlemen !!!
It certainly sounds like a major processing chip went out. This does sound like a software problem caused by hardware failure.

That is bad luck on a receiver of that value.

Honestly though, as I have said before it is nuts to put a bunch of delicate processing chips in the same case as 9 power amps.

When considering really expensive receivers stop and really consider going with a pre/pro and only external amps. That is the far better route for large major installations.

If I owned a unit like that I would expect it to fail, and when it did I would consider it my bad judgement purchasing it in the first place.

Those huge Atmos receivers are a total nonsense and to be avoided.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
It certainly sounds like a major processing chip went out. This does sound like a software problem caused by hardware failure.

That is bad luck on a receiver of that value.

Honestly though, as I have said before it is nuts to put a bunch of delicate processing chips in the same case as 9 power amps.

When considering really expensive receivers stop and really consider going with a pre/pro and only external amps. That is the far better route for large major installations.

If I owned a unit like that I would expect it to fail, and when it did I would consider it my bad judgement purchasing it in the first place.

Those huge Atmos receivers are a total nonsense and to be avoided.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
yea iam thinking its a main chip or main board I do use out board amps for this unit for the 5 main channels just use the units amps for rear surround and front presence use 3 carver tfm-35's for mains , center and side surrounds so I don't think ive taxed it to much heat or power wise something failed indeed it was expensive should have lasted for years .

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
If repair is out of pocket, then it would be better to put the $500 towards a new or refurbished AVR. Accessories 4 less sells refurbished gear with a warranty. Especially since HDMI standards are more stable since 2016 for 4K.

I know I paid $350 to repair a $500 8 year old dryer and then it broke a second time 2 years later so bought another 2018 dryer on sale for $600 instead of paying for repairs again. Good luck!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
yea iam thinking its a main chip or main board I do use out board amps for this unit for the 5 main channels just use the units amps for rear surround and front presence use 3 carver tfm-35's for mains , center and side surrounds so I don't think ive taxed it to much heat or power wise something failed indeed it was expensive should have lasted for years .
Offloading power requirements would help but I also wonder how well ventilated/cooled the unit was, which will also extend life. AVRs can run quite warm. Did it have a cooling fan or lots of free air around it or was it stuffed in a cabinet....makes a difference.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Offloading power requirements would help but I also wonder how well ventilated/cooled the unit was, which will also extend life. AVRs can run quite warm. Did it have a cooling fan or lots of free air around it or was it stuffed in a cabinet....makes a difference.
What cooling fans do you use?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
For now just a simple coolerguys usb powered fan where my avrs are airspace challenged. Lots out there...
So you plug the usb into the receiver usb and put it on top to cool the receiver?
I have room to do that but my cabinets are open on front and back so not super worried. The price of fans is so cheap so that’s a good idea.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So you plug the usb into the receiver usb and put it on top to cool the receiver?
I have room to do that but my cabinets are open on front and back so not super worried. The price of fans is so cheap so that’s a good idea.
Two of my cabinets don't have a lot of space above the avr (but are open front and back, but heat accumulates very well still above the avrs) and until I build something better (procrastinating) the little fans do the job. Yes, run them off a usb port (make sure that they don't draw more juice than your usb port can provide, tho), or you can use a wall wart to power them, too (like these perhaps)

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
No fan in this have 2 inches of space above the avr and a good 3 on the sides unit stays Farley cool when in use iam thinking more and more its the main boaed as when powered on now the firmware is there one min and an hour later its gone on the units info page now when turned on it tells me Firmware error on the system info page a trip to Yamaha is in order talked to the service tech about it at length on the phone might need just a chip of some kind hes seen this 4 or 5 times in the past . He said the first thing they do is a self diagnostic on the avr some times it will tell what is wrong . I did try to reset it with a factory code he give me it did find its model no. and registration no. but did not show any firmware info installed on the unit at all pretty strange these machines lol

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis