Here we go again dont have 7.1 yet ?

<font color='#000000'>Haha, here we go again!

I worked for Soundelux for 7 years and I'm not surprised that they are behind such a concept. They pioneered such things as 24 channel discreet surround in themed attractions like Terminator 2:3-D in Universal Studios Orlando.
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">*The Terminator 2 - 3-D attraction features a state-of-the-art sound system created by Soundelux that pumps a total of 45,620 Watts through 141 speakers. it is the most technically advanced system in the world and serves as a showplace for audiophiles across the globe.
* All processing gear for the attraction's audio system are found within one master computer system. All connections and configurations are made on-screen utilizing computer software that has never been seen before.
* The audio computer system allows audio engineers to modify and construct new audio configurations simply by drawing them on a computer screen instead of the time-consuming re-wiring required by a conventional system.</td></tr></table>
I agree that this is a great idea for installation theatre and themed entertainment, but I really don't see it as being practical for home theatre applications - for several fairly obvious reasons (cost, aesthetics, practicality - did I mention cost?)

And like you said, Ray - people are just attempting to work up to 7.1. Plus, they [Soundelux/Todd AO/Dolby] are apparently bastardizing the existing EX spec (by moving a track to the ceiling) in order to create an overhead sound field.

It's a great idea for movie &nbsp;theatres (I assume the previous rear effect channel will be matrixed then?) and perhaps some Hollywood mixers will bite on the idea...</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis