Here’s my dumb question for the day

B

bcycle

Junior Audioholic
Hi Gang,
I’m sending a midrange driver out for repair. My question is: can I continue to listen to this speaker even with the midrange missing? Yes, I have taped of the connectors with electrical tape.
Thank you in advance,
Greg

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi Gang,
I’m sending a midrange driver out to the speaker manufacturer for repair. My question is: can I continue to listen to this speaker even with the midrange missing? Yes, I have taped of the connectors with electrical tape.
Thank you in advance,
Greg
You can, but I suspect the result will be well to wrong side of pleasant.

B

bcycle

Junior Audioholic
You can, but I suspect the result will be well to wrong side of pleasant.
Meaning I'll blow up something or it'll sound lousy? I can deal with the latter for a couple weeks.
Thanks

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
Meaning I'll blow up something or it'll sound lousy? I can deal with the latter for a couple weeks.
Thanks
There will be a severe hole in the sound. You won't like it. You won't damage them though.

B

bcycle

Junior Audioholic
Yes! Somehow there's something missing in the midrange area. (heh heh). In case anyone is interested, the speaker I'm having repaired is a 20 yr old. A/D/S - M9/90. With the exception of this buzzy mid range, they still sound pretty great. Found a guy in AZ that repairs them.(https://www.adsspeakersservice.com/)

B

bcycle

Junior Audioholic
Maybe listen to headphones for a little while?
Speakers are also for watching movies/tv. I'll be happy but my wife won't be since the only pair of headphones in the house are mine :D

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks
If there's a big hole there where the mid used to be the restoring force won't be there for the other drivers possibly leading to mechanical damage if you turn it up. I'd just let it sit and use the other in mono til the other is put back together. Use a backup set? Borrow from a friend?

B

bcycle

Junior Audioholic
If there's a big hole there where the mid used to be the restoring force won't be there for the other drivers possibly leading to mechanical damage if you turn it up. I'd just let it sit and use the other in mono til the other is put back together. Use a backup set? Borrow from a friend?
Useful information. I have a pair of bookshelf speakers in my basement, I’ll use those until I get the repaired driver back. Thanks.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis