Help with Yamaha RX-V683 stuck in STRAIGHT mode

J

jolmst1

Audiophyte
Hi,
My Yamaha RX-V683 is suddenly not connecting to 7 Channel Stereo as it has for many years automatically. I cannot get out of
STRAIGHT mode or STB Refsw Desi. I updated the firmware to the latest version 2.87. Can someone assist me as I now only get
sound out of the front 3 speakers... thank you

J

jolmst1

Audiophyte
Update, I figured out that STB Refsw Desi was simply a name and it appears all speakers are working. So I changed the name to Xfinity. All seems fine now, but any feedback would be appreciated. thanks.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
On one of my newer avrs it can see/automatically detect a particular unit's "name" and use that for the input name but if you changed cable boxes would think it would change again automatically. Mostly that's been a manual re-naming function on my other avrs.

Automatic use of 7ch stereo might be based per input and remembering your last changing whatever the actual input mode to that....

J

jolmst1

Audiophyte
On one of my newer avrs it can see/automatically detect a particular unit's "name" and use that for the input name but if you changed cable boxes would think it would change again automatically. Mostly that's been a manual re-naming function on my other avrs.

Automatic use of 7ch stereo might be based per input and remembering your last changing whatever the actual input mode to that....
Thank you for your post,

John

J

jolmst1

Audiophyte
Thank you for your post. all seems good for now.

John

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm old-fashioned, but I'm also stuck in STRAIGHT mode. Not that there is anything with the alternative lifestyles.
My AVR can do PURE DIRECT mode if necessary ;-)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm old-fashioned, but I'm also stuck in STRAIGHT mode. Not that there is anything with the alternative lifestyles.
My AVR can do PURE DIRECT mode if necessary ;-)
That just makes me wonder what you get in pure direct :)

J

jolmst1

Audiophyte
I think I solved the problem by updating the firmware, b/c that is when the name changed from STRAIGHT to STB Refws Desi (and all seven speakers started working). I simply changed that name to read Xfinity.
Good luck,
John

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I think I solved the problem by updating the firmware, b/c that is when the name changed from STRAIGHT to STB Refws Desi (and all seven speakers started working). I simply changed that name to read Xfinity.
Good luck,
John
Have you used the IP setup for this? You would need to find the AVR's IP address and open a computer's browser, then type the IP address in the search bar with /setup at the end.

J

jolmst1

Audiophyte
The receiver was connected to the internet and I was able to navigate through the front screen toggles. There was a video example I followed on the internet for my Yamaha RX-V683 and it worked perfectly. Not sure how old the receiver is, but at least 5-7 years old and the firmware updated to the newest version 2.87.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis