help with Surr back setting on pioneer

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
I have a Pioneer Elite sc27 AVR and I was bi-wiring my front speakers to the Surround Back channels 6 + 7. The bi-amp setting was selected on the AVR. I know this isn't bi-amping but this is what I was told to do by the dealer.

Now, several years later, I bought an external amp and am now confused on what to set my speaker settings to. I have a 5.1 system but the aver is 7.1

The front speakers are no longer bi-wired so I think I have to set the Surr Back System to Normal. HOWEVER in this setting, the SB speakers are also set to normal. I HAVE NO SURROUND BACK SPEAKERS.

In the speaker settings, I have FRONT CENTER and SURR set to SMALL and the SW to YES and x.over to 80 Hz. SB is set to NO. Currently, I have the SURROUND BACK SYSTEM settings set to NORMAL.

My question is, is have having the SURROUND BACK SYSTEM settings set to NORMAL correct? I switched the Surr Back System settings to bi-amp just to see and I don't think I heard a difference.

The manual can be found here: https://www.pioneerelectronics.ca/StaticFiles/Manuals/Home/SC-25_OperatingInstructions0421.pdf

It talks about it on page 26 - 27 and 124 - 125. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

A

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I have a Pioneer Elite sc27 AVR and I was bi-wiring my front speakers to the Surround Back channels 6 + 7. The bi-amp setting was selected on the AVR. I know this isn't bi-amping but this is what I was told to do by the dealer.

Now, several years later, I bought an external amp and am now confused on what to set my speaker settings to. I have a 5.1 system but the aver is 7.1

The front speakers are no longer bi-wired so I think I have to set the Surr Back System to Normal. HOWEVER in this setting, the SB speakers are also set to normal. I HAVE NO SURROUND BACK SPEAKERS.

In the speaker settings, I have FRONT CENTER and SURR set to SMALL and the SW to YES and x.over to 80 Hz. SB is set to NO. Currently, I have the SURROUND BACK SYSTEM settings set to NORMAL.

My question is, is have having the SURROUND BACK SYSTEM settings set to NORMAL correct? I switched the Surr Back System settings to bi-amp just to see and I don't think I heard a difference.

The manual can be found here: https://www.pioneerelectronics.ca/StaticFiles/Manuals/Home/SC-25_OperatingInstructions0421.pdf

It talks about it on page 26 - 27 and 124 - 125. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

A
That all seems about right to me. Set the SB to Normal (i.e. NOT bi-amp). What choices do you have on that? Just Normal and Bi-amp, anything else?

You told the AVR on the speaker settings that you don't have the SB channels.

When you set the SB to bi-amp, it will send the same signal to the SB as it does to the LR.

Granted, I have not looked at all this setup etc in many years, but I do run a Pio Elite VSX-82txs and your description seems to line up with what I remember from my Pio setup menus.

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
That all seems about right to me. Set the SB to Normal (i.e. NOT bi-amp). What choices do you have on that? Just Normal and Bi-amp, anything else?

You told the AVR on the speaker settings that you don't have the SB channels.

When you set the SB to bi-amp, it will send the same signal to the SB as it does to the LR.

Granted, I have not looked at all this setup etc in many years, but I do run a Pio Elite VSX-82txs and your description seems to line up with what I remember from my Pio setup menus.

There is also Speaker B - sets 2 channel playback separately from the main setting

Front Bi-amp

Zone 2 - Stereo playback in a different room

and Normal

It's just confusing because the manual states that Normal setting is for 7.1 channels.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
There is also Speaker B - sets 2 channel playback separately from the main setting

Front Bi-amp

Zone 2 - Stereo playback in a different room

and Normal

It's just confusing because the manual states that Normal setting is for 7.1 channels.
Yeah, 7.1 channels IF you have 7.1 channels.

Then, speaker setup, if you tell it you only have 5.1, then if there is any discrete SB information, then it typically just gets sent to the surrounds.

But, process of elimination, you know that Front Bi-amp isn't what you want, you know Zone 2 isn't what you want, so Normal is the ONLY option that makes any sense.

Again, it's been a long time since I set mine up, but by memory that seems to be the same or very similar on mine, and I run 5.1.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
And yeah, if you set it to bi-amp or zone 2, then when you go to speaker setup, you most likely won't see an option to activate SB at all.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis