Help with speaker setup

H

HSM

Enthusiast
Help! I have a Yamaha RX-V1500 receiver and have just added two rear surrounds. They are identical Athena ASR1 Bipoles as my surrounds. I ran the auto setup and the listened to 7 channel stereo and tuner. The rears were way lower so went to manual setup. The speakers are pretty much the same distance to main listening area so set them equal. I went to speaker level option and set all four the same. Played some music again and rear surrounds are less than the surrounds. Whats up?

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
If you notice, the Audition Series speakers are all different sensitivity levels. Your dipoles are 89db. The large AS-F2's are rated at 93. That is a huge difference. For every 3 db increase in volume, you need twice the power. What that means is you need to favor your rear surrounds over the rest of the system based on the low sensitivity rating. Instead of saying your rear surrounds are 6 feet from you, you can try 20 feet and see if that helps. You may also try raising the db level of the rear surrounds. I'm not a big fan of auto setup. The Yamaha's are supposed to be very good, but the good 'ol tape measure and your ears are my suggestion.

H

HSM

Enthusiast
Thanks for reply. Please notice Im talking about just the rear setup. 4 identical Athena bipoles like I said

M

mwheelerk

Junior Audioholic
My Guess

HSM said:
Help! I have a Yamaha RX-V1500 receiver and have just added two rear surrounds. They are identical Athena ASR1 Bipoles as my surrounds. I ran the auto setup and the listened to 7 channel stereo and tuner. The rears were way lower so went to manual setup. The speakers are pretty much the same distance to main listening area so set them equal. I went to speaker level option and set all four the same. Played some music again and rear surrounds are less than the surrounds. Whats up?
While your surrounds are discrete tracks the surround back speaker/s are matrixed and derived from the information in the other channels. From the standpoint of equal output I think all you can expect is "ambience" to fill the surrounds.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis