Help with speaker placement 5.1.2 or 7.1 or ???

R

Ric2L

Enthusiast
I just bought a second set of Mythos Gem XL surround speakers off ebay, and I'm not sure how to place them. My current setup is Deftech Mythos One's front towers, a Mythos Three for center, two Mythos Gem XL's for surround and SVS SB3000 sub. Denon x4700h Receiver. Its a living room setup, room is approximately 13 x 18 with large opening into kitchen dining area. Front stage along long wall and sofa against opposite long wall. I was thinking about hanging the new gems from the ceiling just in front of and above the sofa, but I'm pretty sure they're too heavy for that.
What would be the next best thing, as front wall height speakers, or as on wall rear surrounds. The surrounds I currently have running are placed along the side walls directly across from listening position. Thoughts Suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Rick

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

I would go with your suggested placement, just in front of the couch, or a side height like the second photo(but with only 2 overhead speakers). Definitely would not go 7.1 for any reason (compared to Atmos), and especially with the LP against the back wall.
Also, the gems are only 7.5 pounds. Not to heavy imo, and especially if you can mount into a stud/truss. My old surrounds weighed almost 40lbs. No problems.

R

Ric2L

Enthusiast
Thanks, I didn't think about the side walls, that should work good. Always pays to get others opinions!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis