Help with speaker distance/placement please!

T

tonypap

Enthusiast
Need some help here. I just installed front, right and center speakers. Definitive DI 6.5LCR. Trying to figure out what's best position for left and right distance wise. Picture attached for reference.

MLP is 134"

Currently the left and right speakers are 122" apart (middle to middle) After some triangle calculation that gives me 24.5 degrees from MLP.

I think aesthetically/visually they might look better closer to the TV. Due to beam placement, if i moved them closer they would be 104" apart (middle to middle) which would give me 21.2 degrees from MLP. It would be a PITA to move them over, but i think it might look better if they are closer to the TV, but I'm concerned they might be too close to each other? We only watch TV/Movies....so take into consideration there is no music listened to in this room.

If judging by this article surround-sound-speaker-placement.html I should leave them where they are.

I literally just finished so I haven't had a chance to paint yet, but will be painting them which might help them blend in a little better.

Advice/opinions please...thank you in advance.

Attachments

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
Tonypap,
Nice room!
IMHO leave L/R inwalls where they are.
- Closer will not be better, given your 134" seating position.

Curious why you choose to place the Center speaker above the screen?
- - Below screen placement would have been closer to ear level and allow for the inevitable larger screen that IS in your future

Cheers,
XEagleDriver

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

T

tonypap

Enthusiast
Tonypap,
Nice room!
IMHO leave L/R inwalls where they are.
- Closer will not be better, given your 134" seating position.

Curious why you choose to place the Center speaker above the screen?
- - Below screen placement would have been closer to ear level and allow for the inevitable larger screen that IS in your future

Cheers,
XEagleDriver

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Thank you!! And LMAO, yes they do tend to get bigger and bigger. I just got that Q90T 85” this week. Completely moved everything around. Originally I had a cabinet with center channel on a shelf above TV. I wanted to keep the screen as low as possible, so I didn’t want to eat up space under the TV. So I chose directly above. Its aimable, so I have it aimed down at MLP. If...or WHEN I go bigger I’ll just have to redo everything again, although at that viewing distance I think 85” is the biggest I can go. The couch can not be moved back any further.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Its amiable
So you're saying it's a very friendly, sociable speaker? That's nice. My center channel can be downright antisocial sometimes... :p

I kid, I kid! Lol. Being able to aim it down toward your mlp will definitely help, but in general under the screen is usually the preferred spot. Like eagle said, as you get into larger and larger screens you start running out of real estate. It's better to be below than above.

T

tonypap

Enthusiast
So you're saying it's a very friendly, sociable speaker? That's nice. My center channel can be downright antisocial sometimes... :p

I kid, I kid! Lol. Being able to aim it down toward your mlp will definitely help, but in general under the screen is usually the preferred spot. Like eagle said, as you get into larger and larger screens you start running out of real estate. It's better to be below than above.
Lmaoooooooo aimable (damn autocorrect) I’m going to edit that above.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
You need to move that Center. This is Totally Unacceptable!!!

As Punishment you need to send everyone who responded to this Thread a Bottle of Crown XR

T

tonypap

Enthusiast

Understood...probably would have looked better also, but then I’d have to tilt the tv down and I really wanted to avoid that. So far sounds really good.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think they're okay where they are. Almost an equilateral triangle for L/R now, narrower I wouldn't do....the center is closer to ear height this way or below tv with tv still at reasonable height ? ....hard to tell just from pics. Might think about ventilation for electronics in the cabinet, particularly the avr.

T

tonypap

Enthusiast
The cabinet has mesh front and two fans on the side that circulate air.
The center is higher than eat height but aimed down.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis