Help with selecting a receiver

• Thread starter Awesomeness Prime
  • Start date
A

Awesomeness Prime

Audiophyte
I'm looking to buy a receiver but do not know what I'm doing.
I have the following speakers:
Technics SB-CR55's
Bose 301's series IV
Bose 301's series V
Sony SA-WM250 subwoofer
- I'm looking at replacing the Sony with a Klipsch subwoofer.
My budget is under $100 kind of tight. I'm looking on eBay, Craiglist and Goodwill. Any help on a good receiver to go with these speakers is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
If you can find *any* AVR at that price, you should take it.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
how about you list 4-6 options from your local marketplaces and we could help you narrow it down.
Target $150 as you could haggle down in most cases. Brands to go to are Denon, Marantz, Yamaha.
If it doesn't have SOME HDMI inputs - don't bother - it's waaaay too old.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah this is going in reverse, there are too many possibilities to list. Much better to pick out some in your budget and post 'em up....

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Only 330% of his budget!
Maybe he doesn't know that you could buy a quality receiver for a little over $300. If he owns it for 10 years that's $33 a year how long do you think that used receivers going to last (dice roll). And I'm sure Costco has some type of finance plan if needed.
Bottom line it's up to the OP to decide what he wants to do I'm just giving an option

tenor-14.gif

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Maybe yo should selll your Bose 301's and get a better AVR.
Then, when you have save some more money, get better surround speakers.

A

Awesomeness Prime

Audiophyte
Thanks for the replies everyone. I know I didn't have $ to play with but I had been out of work since covid-19 shutdowns started. Music makes my world better. I was in a bad place and I felt I needed music from a solid sounding system to help lift my spirits. Anyways I did end up with a good used receive(I love the look and sound of it) and a set of speakers.
I scored a Technics sa-303 and a pair of EPI 100V speakers for the $100. Also I forgot about a pair of speakers at my parents house that my uncle, who's a paralyzed veteran, had given me 25 years ago. They were a pair of Bose 601 series II speakers. Unfortunately I ran into an old friend who told me a great story of how his life had changed and he'd just moved into a new house since the last time we talked and I was truly happy and excited for him. Well he needed a good pair of speakers to use to throw a house warming party so I borrowed him the 601's. Except when I showed up the night of the party I come to find out it was all a lie. He didn't even live in the house. I finally caught up to him a week later and he explained that he's actually addicted to methamphetamine and promptly traded my speakers for drugs. He said he would bring me to the guy's house but when I wasn't looking he ran out of the house we were at and took off. I called the cops and they said people they've talked to have said he left town and moved somewhere else(varying locations).
So if anyone knows where I can get another set of 601's for next to nothing please help me out.
Other than that, thanks again for everyone's input.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis