Help With Pioneer Receiver

S

Sheilajeanne

Audiophyte
Okay, I've done my homework, and read and tried all the online fixes I've been able to find, and so far no luck...

My Pioneer VSX-D458 receiver hasn't worked since we suffered a power failure a week ago. The buttons all work, the display comes on, but there is no sound. I have tried unplugging and replugging everything I also found a reset solution that involved pressing the tone button and standby button at the same time, but that hasn't worked either. And since the unit is used, I don't have an owner's manual.

Help, please? I'm hearing impaired and having the extra speakers hooked up to my TV and CD player really did help!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Okay, I've done my homework, and read and tried all the online fixes I've been able to find, and so far no luck...

My Pioneer VSX-D458 receiver hasn't worked since we suffered a power failure a week ago. The buttons all work, the display comes on, but there is now sound. I have tried unplugging and replugging everything I also found a reset solution that involved pressing the tone button and standby button at the same time, but that hasn't worked either. And since the unit is used, I don't have an owner's manual.

Help, please? I'm hearing impaired and having the extra speakers hooked up to my TV and CD player really did help!
Do you reset everything up after resetting the receiver like you describe.

If you have done a reset and can not get at least the test toned though the speakers, then that power failure has done major damage to the receiver. These events are often accompanied by damaging surges.

Due to the age of the receiver repair is not warranted.

I think you need to purchase a new receiver.

S

Sheilajeanne

Audiophyte
The reset I tried with the tone button and standby button did not work the way it was described in the online thread I found. (Standby button is supposed to flash, and the control panel asks if you want to do a reset.) So I think this wasn't the right way to reset this particular receiver

Are there any other ways to reset these receivers?

Last edited:
S

Sheilajeanne

Audiophyte
This is a used unit I purchased for $89 a month ago. I JUST got it fully up and running a week before the power failure.

Buying a new one isn't in the budget right now. :(

There's a repair shop I know that will repair vintage electronics. Since EVERYTHING on it is working except the sound, I will likely give them a try before throwing in the towel.

If it were really totally fried, I don't think I'd be able to change modes and speaker configurations and have it show up on the control panel as to what I'd selected.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Have you checked AND gone through all the corrective steps on page 45 of the manual? There are at least the six reasons listed there that it would power up yet not deliver sound.

S

Sheilajeanne

Audiophyte
Ken M, we crossposted! It's FIXED!! :D

Thank you, thank you, thank you loveinthehd for finding that manual!
I checked the 'troubleshooting' section, and found out if the Tape2 Monitor button is pressed, it cancels out the sound in all other modes!

I checked the display, and what do you know? That button was indeed selected. I gave it a push to deselect it, and the sound came back! WHEW!!

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Terrific! I had a feeling it was going to be something simple like that and I'm SO glad for you that you found it!

Enjoy!

S

Sheilajeanne

Audiophyte
I'm feeling a bit embarrassed, but in my defence, the receiver is shoved back in a corner behind an end table, and stacked in an old stereo cabinet that has my old Dual phonograph on top of it. It makes the fine print on the display impossible to read without glasses (old fogey here!) and a bright light!

Plus, I've only had it a month, had no access to the user manual until today, and it's quite a complicated machine!

We always tend to fear the worst when something like this happens, don't we? :)

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Don't beat yourself up or be embarrassed about this one bit! I'd venture that a large percentage of the "seasoned pros" around here could easily overlook something like that too, and have to refer to the manual.

By the way, whenever I have a question about a particular piece of equipment, whether it be audio-visual, a tool, washing machine, or whatever, I always default to the manufacturer's website for info FIRST. In fact, although I have most all the original documentation for my AV stuff, I prefer having the electronic PDF version because I can search it faster and read it without fetching my reading glasses. (I'm getting old.)

Click this link if you haven't aready downloaded the manual for your receiver. It's Pioneer's own website, their own manual for your receiver in a cleaner, easier to read form.

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pio/pe/images/portal/cit_11221/34506598Operating Instructions VSX-D498.pdf

S

Sheilajeanne

Audiophyte
[scratches head] Ken, that was, in fact, the first thing I did. As a matter of fact, I did it WEEKS ago when I first purchased the receiver, and was trying to set it up!

Although I spent quite some time there searching, I COULD NOT FIND THAT MANUAL!! I actually used a manual from a similar receiver to help me with the setup!

[Wonders what magic Ken used to find the manual... ]

Anyway, thank you very much for the link!

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Finding it method for me:

My "home page" with MS Edge browser (and MS Internet Exploder, and Firefox) is "Google classic." Copied the maker name and model number from you first post, pasted it in the search bar. Hit go and it was the 4th one down the list. The first one was the link that "loveinthehd" had posted. I always look for links that go directly back to the manufacturer and click on those first, as I feel they're the least likely to have Trojans, ads, virus.

I do hope it opened in an Adobe compliant reader and you were able to save it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Finding it method for me:

My "home page" with MS Edge browser (and MS Internet Exploder, and Firefox) is "Google classic." Copied the maker name and model number from you first post, pasted it in the search bar. Hit go and it was the 4th one down the list. The first one was the link that "loveinthehd" had posted. I always look for links that go directly back to the manufacturer and click on those first, as I feel they're the least likely to have Trojans, ads, virus.

I do hope it opened in an Adobe compliant reader and you were able to save it.
Just how I look but don't remember seeing the Pioneer link on the first page of results...with some manufacturers they drop the manuals from their site for older gear and then you need a site like I linked but I find their format and signin requirements a put-off too.

Glad the OP figured it out, never even thought about a depressed tape monitor button! Newer units generally don't even have such....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis