Help with Outlaw LFM-1 and sub placement

expose11

expose11

Enthusiast
Hello all. I really enjoy this forum.
I am thinking of buying a new sub and am looking at the Outlaw LFM-1 because of the great reviews and because of the design. The sub as you all know has the ports on the bottom and because of this allows you to put the sub against the wall.(so says outlaw) This is a big plus because I have only one real good place to put a sub this large. My room is about 12x18 and I have a couch and love seat. The corner where the couch and love seat meet is the only place for the sub. I have a small sub JBL 10" in this position now, however any good 12" sub will have a much larger footprint. The ports could be too close to the wall with a depth of 20+ inches and ports on the rear. I am afraid this would be no good.
The outlaw with its bottom ports is ideal and the great reviews don’t hurt either. My reasoning for the upgrade is clear (JBL sub :( ) but the reason for a 12" over smaller 10" is so when I move and have a larger room, I will not be upgrading again.

My question for anyone with experience with this sub is, how well does it work if you put it within an inch or so from the corner walls? I realize every room is different, but does the fact that the ports are on the bottom really make it so it could be put in a corner right up to the wall?

Second question, how well does this sub play at low levels. I have read just about every review I can find, but I have not come across one that says how well it does at low listening levels. Is it as accurate and responsive? What is it like on night listening mode?

I am planning on pairing this with Axiom M22I's M2's and a VP150. I realize with a bigger room, towers like the Axiom M60 would be great, but no room for them. That will have to be a future purchase when I have a bigger room.

This will replace my current JBL northridge24's HTIB. Which I thought sounded pretty good, however I know that they are bottom feeders.

Thanks and sorry for the long post.

E

Eric Apple

Junior Audioholic
Well, I have one in/near a corner. On the long side of the sub it's about 5" away from the wall, and the short end is about 15" from the other wall. It works well. One other thing, being down firing you might need to raise the sub a bit with wood blocks or a wooden platform to get it out of the carpet. The carpet in our room was thick enough so that the sub burried itself allowing no space for sound to come out.

The lfm-1 is a darn good sub for LFE. For music I still prefer a sealed sub. Try outlaw.com and their forums to get more advice on the LFMs.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis