Help with my HK AVR 7300

H

hotdog

Audiophyte
Hi. I just recently purchased the HK AVR 7300 and a set of Infinity Beta series speakers. I have no major complaints with what I have, just a few questions.

First off, I heard that HK don't have fans in them, however they have very large heatsinks to dissipate all the heat. For some reason, I can hear a sound coming from the reciever when I'm near it. It sounds just like a a fan. I couldn't see one inside the slits on the cover but I swear I hear a fan spinning in there when the reciever is on. Did HK put a fan in the AVR 7300 recievers?

Other question I have is with regards to matching the reciever with the speakers. I have a full set of Infinity Beta speakers. 2 Beta 50s (fronts), 1 Beta C360 (centre), 2 Beta ES250, (surround), 2 Beta 20 (rear surround), and 1 CSW-10 (subwoofer). Is the HK AVR 7300 a good match with the Infinity Beta speakers? Although the sound is okay, it's nothing amazing.

I hear that there usually is a break-in period that new speakers have to go through before they start to sound the way they were meant to. I know that Infinity uses the CMMD (ceramic metal matrix diaphragm) technology for their speakers. I know very little about this technology and would appreciate any help with regards to the speakers. Is it normal for new speakers to sound mediocre out of the box? If so, what is the average break-in period before they start to sound much better?

I also notice that the video upconversion by Faroudja doesn't seem that great. I have a digital cable box feeding an S-Video signal to my AVR 7300 and a component video signal going to the TV. The picture isn't noticably better at all. Looks pretty much the same to me. I guess I have to do some video calibration first before it does look better. I'm using Monster Ultra 1000 series cables for all of my audio and video interconnects so I don't think the cables would be the problem there.

I look forward to reading any answers or opinions to what I have.

Thanks.

H

hotdog

Audiophyte
Well, after a month of usage, the sound is starting to improve. I guess I should spend more time watching movies to help break-in my speakers. Just haven't had much time. Anyways, I think there is definate potential for this receiver as soon as the speakers have gone through some constant usage. I guess I also need to calibrate all my speakers and sub for the best possible sound.

Nobody else has an opinion on either my speakers or receiver? I guess I'm one of the few who currently have the HK AVR 7300 and/or Infinity Beta speakers. That's a shame.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis