J

jeffj72

Audiophyte
I was originally looking at the sony dav fx500 because it was cheap and the HDMI input would make it easy to set up. But now after looking at your website here, i feel like i really need help.....im not an audio snob and my room isnt exactly acoustically perfect. Would the $1000 system the website recommends be a good fit, the prices have dropped pretty good. Thanks in advance

J

JKL1960

Audioholic
If you mean this system, then I would say yes it looks like a pretty good set up. One of the problems with most HTIB is they are hard to upgrade. At some point you will want to upgrade or add something.

ETA: I looked up the Sony unit at the Sony web site. It lists power on that unit as:

Audio Power Output: Amplifier: 1000W Total, Center Speaker: 143W (1KHz 10%THD), Front Speaker: 143W x 2 (1KHz 10%THD), Subwoofer Speaker: 285W (1KHz 10%THD), Surround Speaker: 143W x 2 (1KHz 10)

To me this is red flag stuff. They wanted 1000w total power so they pushed till they got it. 10%THD is a high amount of distortion. Compare that to the .7% that the $1000 system's amp shows.

Unfortunately there are no standards for rating wattage. (I vote for 20-20khz @ .05% THD for the standard.)

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It isn't that they pushed until they got it, it is just how they rate the amplifier to get numbers that look impressive to the average consumer. If they rated it at .05% and showed that it was really only capable of about 20w actual, nobody would buy it, and they know that. That does not give them a license to mislead the consumer though.

You can get the Micra 6 at Best Buy for under $300.

T

tomahawktim

Audioholic Intern
It is my understanding that the Athena Micra6 is now end of the line for this model. Now would be the time to buy; while still available.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis