Help with home theater

6.14me

Audiophyte
Hello, all. I have been lurking on here for a couple of weeks. I currently have a cheap stereo reciever (20 year old pioneer SX-312R) connected to a pair of BIC america DV84 towers (purchased about a year ago). Also have a Panasonic TH-50PZ80U Plasma tv, along with a cheap Phillips upconverting DVD player and Directv HD service (each connected to the TV by HDMI. I then have a component audio out going to the reciever. All this is in a 20x20 LR with vaulted ceilings.

My problem is that I have started watching more movies, and the sound of the dialogue is nonexistent, I have to crank the sound, and still can barely hear the speaking parts of the movie, just get more of the background sound. I am assuming that this is due to the missing center channel?

In any case, I am wanting to remedy this by adding a new reciever and a center channel now, then a sub and rear surround in the next 6 months or so. I have been doing lots of research, and I am leaning towards the Onkyo TX-SR-607, and the BIC center DV62CLR-S or Formula FH6-LCR. I have read on here that you should at least match your center and front L/R's.

A few questions I have are:

1. Will this sound ok for a while until I can get a sub and surround hooked up? Or I guess what I should ask is would it sound better than what I currently have?

2. I like the looks and sound of the BIC towers (even on my puny reciever), should I source all of my speakers (surround, sub(s)) from them also?

I am sure I will think of more questions later, but thanks in advance.

Ron

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
You may want to try running audio from the DVD to the receiver and making sure it is down-mixing to stereo. That could help in the mean time.

I'm not familiar with the BIC speakers but it's usually a good idea to at least have the front sound field match. Having all 5 speakers match is good, too. Since getting audible dialogue is a priority, I think you are on the right track with the order for getting stuff.

I've heard good things about the Onkyo 607 but perhaps someone with direct experience can weigh in.

Jim

6.14me

Audiophyte
Thanks, thats a good idea, I will try running audio to the reciever directly until I decide on a new reciever/center speaker.:D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis