Help with home audio setup

N

NickH

Audiophyte
Hello everyone,

I want to install 2 small outdoor speakers on my front porch and 2 more on my side porch. I was planning on getting a A/B selector switch so that I can listen to one set at a time or both. I'm trying to figure out what I need but I don't have any background in home audio. I see there are products that boost Bluetooth signal, I'm not sure if I need that but the music will be playing from a Bluetooth device so maybe that would be beneficial. I also don't know if I need an amp. I'm hoping I don't, I don't need the speakers to be extra loud, they will just be used for background music when entertaining guests.

The reviecer I have is a Yamaha R-S202BL Stereo Receiver.

I'm hoping you guys can pitch in and help me figure out what I should buy.

Thanks in advance and my apologies if I left anything out.

Nick

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Your RS202BL doesn't have multi-zone but you can still accomplish what you want.

A device like this one will allow you to control on/off and volume control for 2 pairs of speakers.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Channel-A-B-Stereo-Audio-Speaker-Switch-Selector-w-Volume-Control/322327948497?_trkparms=aid=555018&algo=PL.SIM&ao=2&asc=50544&meid=126d070130284be2ab9fce4d049eb28c&pid=100005&rk=2&rkt=10&sd=290816188150&itm=322327948497&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

You will have to hard wire the speakers to work with this type controller.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
If your Yamaha is going to be dedicated for outside use, then it already has an amplifier built in and will do just fine with your outdoor speakers. If the speakers CAN stay at the same volume on both sides, then you can skip the speaker selector/volume control and just plug 8 ohm speakers into the A and B connections of the Yamaha. If you want them to potentially be at different volumes, then get the speaker selector/volume control unit.

You didn't mention the setup you have outdoors, or the speakers you are planning to use, but just run some decent 14 gauge speaker wire to all the speakers and you should be fine and everything can be adjusted at the head end (receiver) location.

For Bluetooth, be aware that the range is EXTREMELY limited. Wherever you put your Bluetooth receiver, or even an extension antenna, will be a toss-up on whether it works or not. For reliability, most people now go with wi-fi enabled systems such as Miracast (Android) or AirPlay (Apple) for best results. Or, you can just plug an audio source into your Yamaha directly.

So, be specific about what you intend to use as your source. What you would like to use. Bluetooth is nice, but wi-fi is going to give you better range and greater reliability between a phone and the A/V receiver.

So, the Chromecast (miracast) audio device: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Google-Chromecast-Audio/46784941
or a Apple Airport Express (AirPlay): https://www.amazon.com/Apple-AirPort-Express-Station-MC414LL/dp/B008ALA2RC

Plus a 1/8" to RCA cable: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=9299&gclid=Cj0KCQjw0PTXBRCGARIsAKNYfG1QrNS4iuX7OQnqKuVEOPh4PR9WwRQVFQHGU0-XI6bfaOdScpUlcTkaAlxPEALw_wcB

Call it a done deal for higher reliability audio streaming from your mobile device.

N

NickH

Audiophyte
Thank you guys so much! I ordered the A/B selector with volume control. I don't have wifi (it's a camp) so the wireless option is out. I didn't realize the solution would be so simple. Thank you for your suggestions and taking the time to help me out.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
How are you getting bluetooth into the receiver?
What are you using for audio playback?

I think you may not be all the way there yet.

Oh, and wireless and INTERNET are two different things. You can get a wireless router and have much better range than Bluetooth and plug it into the devices I previously discussed. Still, if you intend to stream audio through a phone, wi-fi only may cause some issues.

N

NickH

Audiophyte
Ok. Thanks. Keep in mind I don't know anything about this and I'm just trying to learn. I can get a router for my camp so I can have better Bluetooth connectivity? That's pretty interesting. Can you tell me what to look up so I can find more information on those? My camp is really small and I get decent Bluetooth coverage as it is but with a router I could probably walk anywhere in the small yard and still be connected to the receiver. Right now I just broadcast directly from my phone to the receiver and I don't have speakers picked out yet. Any suggestions for speakers that aren't terrible or terribly expensive?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis