help with grainy picture

K

keithl1967

Enthusiast
Hey, I've got a question--I just purchased a 16:9 50" DLP HDTV (RCA Scenium)...the picture when I'm watching standard broadcasts via Satellite is quite poor--very grainy, and often pixellized. I notice that some DVDs (ie Star Wars) look absolutely fantastic with Progressive scan mode, while others (ie War of the Worlds) look terrible under all of the same settings--can anyone elighten me as to what gives? Resolution w/ the progressive scan indicates 480P (War of the words actually looks better on S-Video in 480i) Please help!

mpompey

mpompey

Senior Audioholic
Welcome to Audioholics. I'm not sure about your satellite connection, maybe someone else can speak to that. As to the DVDs you mention, they're fine.

War of the Worlds, Minority Report, Battlestar Galactica, etc. are examples of DVDs where the director purposely made them grainy and the colors washed out. It's not your set and equipment. This can be testified that Star Wars looks great. If you have a copy, try The Fifth Element. Its a demo quality CD to test visuals and audio.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis