Help With Denon 3600 + Apple TV

B

Bellbm

Audiophyte
I have a Denon 3600. I have Apple TV connected directly. Recently installed HD Homerun and Channels DVR. I get no 5.1 sound on HD homerun ap, even though the receiver shows it’s getting a 5.1 signal. When I connect Apple TV. Directly to my tv and run the audio via ARC back to the receiver, it works as expected. I get 5.1 sound on the channels that have it, stereo on those that don’t. Anyone know what is going on? Would like to connect directly to the receiver and avoid using ARC.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Can you elaborate on just what is connected with what type of cable to what exactly?

B

Bellbm

Audiophyte
I have Apple TV 4K connected directly to the Denon receiver with an HDMI 2.0 cable (Amazon brand).
when I connect Apple TV directly to TV, with ARC back to the receiver,HDMI 2.0 cables as well.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have Apple TV 4K connected directly to the Denon receiver with an HDMI 2.0 cable (Amazon brand).
when I connect Apple TV directly to TV, with ARC back to the receiver,HDMI 2.0 cables as well.
How does the HD Homerun and Channels DVR fit in? (is that a single device?....not familiar).

B

Bellbm

Audiophyte
I should add I’m only having this issue on the HD homerun and channels DVR ap. All other aps produce 5.1 when expected when hooked directly to the receiver.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So you get multich audio fine for playback but just can't record it when using the avr? Or? Used to be the tv would be the guilty party in not outputting multich. HDMI 2.0 is not a cable designation, tho, that's a hardware designation for version.....but seems the cable's not likely the issue in this case if it can do what you need via ARC.

ps One thought, an avr can show multich input even with a 2.0 signal in some cases depending on the audio output settings of the ATV (or other streamers).

B

Bellbm

Audiophyte
I get multichannel audio fine when the ATV is hooked directly to the receiver for all aps except HD homerun and Channels DVR.
when I connect the ATV to my tv and run the audio back via ARC, I get multichannel audio on those aps.

sizzam

sizzam

Audioholic
I think the cable is a 18gbs hdmi cable type which is good enough for regular ARC but is non sufficient for eARC which is uncompressed 8 channel audio over hdmi, however if the issue is that you cant get surround sound on some content then you can use the AVR upscaler which takes a stereo signal and spreads it to surround sound even if its not recorded as such.

also it could be the same thing windows does where it sends a constant blank pcm signal for all 8 channels so you cant upscale to multichannel audio since the receiver sees 8 channel audio already, even though its only able to play in stereo

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I get multichannel audio fine when the ATV is hooked directly to the receiver for all aps except HD homerun and Channels DVR.
when I connect the ATV to my tv and run the audio back via ARC, I get multichannel audio on those aps.
Is it actual 5.1 content when you say you get multich input on the avr, or is it just 2.0 over lpcm? Have you dived into audio settings in the ATV and this app? I am not familiar with applish things myself, hopefully someone can shed some light on it....

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Apple TV 4K has had issues with HDHomeRun. What is your current firmware on the Apple TV 4K?

B

Bellbm

Audiophyte
I think the cable is a 18gbs hdmi cable type which is good enough for regular ARC but is non sufficient for eARC which is uncompressed 8 channel audio over hdmi, however if the issue is that you cant get surround sound on some content then you can use the AVR upscaler which takes a stereo signal and spreads it to surround sound even if its not recorded as such.

also it could be the same thing windows does where it sends a constant blank pcm signal for all 8 channels so you cant upscale to multichannel audio since the receiver sees 8 channel audio already, even though its only able to play in stereo
This is the cable I’m using

B

Bellbm

Audiophyte
Is it actual 5.1 content when you say you get multich input on the avr, or is it just 2.0 over lpcm? Have you dived into audio settings in the ATV and this app? I am not familiar with applish things myself, hopefully someone can shed some light on it....
Yes. It’s actual 5.1 content. Plays in 5.1 fine on my TiVo or tv tuner. All hooked to the same receiver.

sizzam

sizzam

Audioholic
This is the cable I’m using

that cable seems fine so I doubt its the cables fault.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I’m guessing it is an app issue with the Apple TV 4K. Try changing the audio output to dolby digital 5.1 when connected to the receiver in the Apple TV 4K settings and see what happens when playing HDHomeRun.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis