help with bookshelf speaker selection

B

BrianC

Junior Audioholic
So my current setup is Yamaha 673 receiver (used as pre/pro), Hafler xl 280 (Hand me down) amp, and psb gt-1 towers and centre. Sources include ps3, directv hd receiver, and a couple laptops, all via hdmi and analogue where possible. Simply put, the sound is boring, too laid back, and uninspiring. I believe room acoustics to be the biggest culprit but with the waf, am looking to compensate with different components. I've played with different sources and amps, and am resigned to believe that my psb must be my weak link for my taste. It's a rather large room, 25x20 with wood floors and lots of glass, but I don't need super loud, so I was thinking of downsizing to bookshelves. My sense is that all my stuff is a little too laid back, and perhaps something brighter is what I need?

50/50 ht/music, classical, jazz, electronic all get action from the family. Budget around $500, not opposed to buying used.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts, advice, recommendations

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
No, you have it wrong. You just need a subwoofer or two. The sound will become lifelike and exciting.

B

BrianC

Junior Audioholic
Sorry, I spaced. I have a Klipsch Synergy 12 sub, plenty powerful (although my rooms acoustic difficulties persist) Lack of low end not my problem.

Yes, Ascend is on my radar, Monitor, Axiom, Aeperion, Paradigm,and then some. I can audition some but not all. I'm not thrilled about giving money to a larger Corp for speakers, but if I'm aiming for a brighter sound, should I look at Klipsch?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Yes, Ascend is on my radar, Monitor, Axiom, Aeperion, Paradigm,and then some. I can audition some but not all. I'm not thrilled about giving money to a larger Corp for speakers, but if I'm aiming for a brighter sound, should I look at Klipsch?
The PSB has a dip between 2 and 4 khz, and between 5 to 8 khz > and your center has
a big wide dip between 2 and 8 khz - however, they are from the past.

No one can guarantee what is best for you - however you may like the Klipsch and the
controlled directivity dispersion.

Your room will still have some limitations.

Your $500 budget is also bringing you some limitations

I would put the MB QUART Alexxa B1 on a short list to look at.
AS-B1PB (Pair)*| MB Quart

Last edited:
B

BrianC

Junior Audioholic
Is there a whole world of much greater quality that shouldn't be ignored in the 7-900$ range, that mist be considered? If so, what do you recommend?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Is there a whole world of much greater quality that shouldn't be ignored in the 7-900$ range, that mist be considered? If so, what do you recommend?
That is still subjective - however with your room and the glass and wood floors,
keep Klipsch as an option.

Also MB Quart, Definitive and Ascend.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
So my current setup is Yamaha 673 receiver (used as pre/pro), Hafler xl 280 (Hand me down) amp, and psb gt-1 towers and centre. Sources include ps3, directv hd receiver, and a couple laptops, all via hdmi and analogue where possible. Simply put, the sound is boring, too laid back, and uninspiring. I believe room acoustics to be the biggest culprit but with the waf, am looking to compensate with different components. I've played with different sources and amps, and am resigned to believe that my psb must be my weak link for my taste. It's a rather large room, 25x20 with wood floors and lots of glass, but I don't need super loud, so I was thinking of downsizing to bookshelves. My sense is that all my stuff is a little too laid back, and perhaps something brighter is what I need?
The PSB has a dip between 2 and 4 khz, and between 5 to 8 khz > and your center has a big wide dip between 2 and 8 khz - however, they are from the past.
To illustrate what zieglj01 said, see the frequency response graph below. The purple trace is the GT-1 tower, and the green trace is the GC-1 center. Both of them have large enough dips in upper mid range / lower treble frequencies to be audible. They could easily be responsible for, as you said, boring sound, too laid back, and uninspiring. Room acoustics is probably not responsible for this, it’s those speakers.

http://www.soundandvision.com/images/archivesart/1007PSB.3.jpg

Recommending Klipsch speakers should always come with a caveat. Listen to them before buying. Some people like them and some people find them unacceptably bright sounding.

In that price range there are three excellent book shelf speakers. I believe that any of these would solve your problem.

Salk SongSurround I SongSurround Overview/Pricing

Philharmonic Audio Philharmonitor Philharmonic Audio

Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 Sierra-1 Bamboo Loudspeaker

By the way, that Hafler xl 280 amp is excellent. Keep it. To replace it with something new would cost well over $1000.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
To illustrate what zieglj01 said, see the frequency response graph below. The purple trace is the GT-1 tower, and the green trace is the GC-1 center. Both of them have large enough dips in upper mid range / lower treble frequencies to be audible. They could easily be responsible for, as you said, boring sound, too laid back, and uninspiring. Room acoustics is probably not responsible for this, it’s those speakers.

Recommending Klipsch speakers should always come with a caveat. Listen to them before buying. Some people like them and some people find them unacceptably bright sounding.

In that price range there are three excellent book shelf speakers. I believe that any of these would solve your problem.

Salk SongSurround I SongSurround Overview/Pricing

The center does appear to have some problems. But it's hard to tell about the tower, since Sound and Vision measures with the grills on. That will always cause cancellation dips from reflections, and those aren't nearly as audible as inherent dips and peaks in drivers themselves.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The purple trace is the GT-1 tower, and the green trace is the GC-1 center. Both of them have large enough dips in upper mid range / lower treble frequencies to be audible. They could easily be responsible for, as you said, boring sound, too laid back, and uninspiring. Room acoustics is probably not responsible for this, it’s those speakers.

They might sound more "exciting" to some people if the -3dB dips (purple) were +3dB peaks instead. :D

N

nogaro

Full Audioholic
Pioneer does a have a new line coming out with a true 3-way bookshelf using a concentric driver for the highs and mids. I'd put that on my list, for sure. I believe more information will be revealed before the end of this month.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Pioneer does a have a new line coming out with a true 3-way bookshelf using a concentric driver for the highs and mids. I'd put that on my list, for sure. I believe more information will be revealed before the end of this month.
Geez, didn't you just buy a pair of awesome KEF Reference 201/2 and TAD 2201? ;) :D

I am telling your wife that you are still looking at new speakers! :eek: :D

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Geez, didn't you just buy a pair of awesome KEF Reference 201/2 and TAD 2201? ;) :D

I am telling your wife that you are still looking at new speakers! :eek: :D
And still has not opened up, the MB Quart Vera bookshelf speakers

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You must be joking? :D

I can see that he is on his way to becoming the new speaker king around here. :eek:

I no longer have that title. :D

N

nogaro

Full Audioholic
You must be joking? :D

I can see that he is on his way to becoming the new speaker king around here. :eek:

I no longer have that title. :D
Guilty as charged, ADTG, but that's a title you have for life!!
I do have some very exciting days ahead with KEF 201/2, TAD 2201, and the MB Quart Veras to test out. It's the Summer of Audio!
Regarding the Pioneers, I was recommending them for the OP. I will be following them with interest and patiently building up some brownie points with the wife.

N

nogaro

Full Audioholic
The only reason they're not opened up is that I don't have access to them. They're somewhere in storage and I'll have them just before the July 4th weekend. The KEF and TAD are just to tide me over :) J/K.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Guilty as charged, ADTG, but that's a title you have for life!!
I do have some very exciting days ahead with KEF 201/2, TAD 2201, and the MB Quart Veras to test out. It's the Summer of Audio!
Regarding the Pioneers, I was recommending them for the OP. I will be following them with interest and patiently building up some brownie points with the wife.
Well, maybe as "honorary" title only for my past. :D

Just sold the Phil3 today. :D

Last edited:
N

nogaro

Full Audioholic
Well, maybe as "honorary" title only for my past. :D

Just sold the Phil3 today. :D
Honorary King - I like the sound of that!

Congrats on selling the Phils. I wonder when the withdrawal symptoms are going to kick in?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis