sudyke

sudyke

Audioholic Intern
Hi everyone! I am new to this forum! I don't know too much about HT stuff. Can anyone tell me where I can learn about these things everyone writes here? Like +3db=2xpower, and how you calculate that a 92db speaker needs 516W-s for 119db, what is spl level, and things like that!
Thx! :eek:

Also I am planning on buying a Pio VSX-D814! That is the max that my budget can hold! My room is about 20-25sqm, with very thick walls. Good buy? Pros, cons? I will probably use it with my computer's 5.1 soundcard, but I am planning on buying a decent DVD-player soon (need more money)!

Resident Loser

Resident Loser

Senior Audioholic
Well...

...insofar as info is concerned, this site's FAQs and other sections have a great deal of info de-mystifying the whole A/V deal...and of course, you can simply ask questions in the forums...and remember there are NO dumb questions, only dumb answers...we all had to learn somewhere. BTW, "spl" is Sound Pressure Level, it's measured on a scale in dBs(decibels) and read by an SPL meter...most associated with room equalization and the like...simply, apparent loudness levels, threshold of hearing or threshold of pain and all things in between.

Other units in or about your price range are: Onkyo TX-SR503 @$299, Yamaha HTR-5840 @$350, Marantz SR-4500 @$359, Denon AVR-1705 @$399 and for a bit more, Harman Kardon's AVR135 @$450. All prices are MSRP and in USD...you might do better by shopping around, but be sure to purchase whatever you get from an authorized reseller. Similar units, some have more "adaptability" than others, so investigating each model, as to your requirements or potential for future growth, is certainly in order.

I have an Onkyo 2ch receiver(part of the MC35TECH package) that's seems pretty good with their WRAT technology, the Marantz units have a 3-year warranty, which is why I purchased their cassette deck...Denon is well respected, Yamaha seems to be a fave 'round these parts and HK is another popular(if pricier-for entry level) brand...and while it probably means very little in the grand scheme of things, I have an HK Citation 19 power amp that was purchased in the late 70s/early80s(sometime around there-duh!!!) that's still alive and kicking, in my stereo set-up...

jimHJJ(...good luck...)

Last edited:
sudyke

sudyke

Audioholic Intern
annunaki said:
Check my reply to your question in the 4 ohm 92db thread HERE
Thats where I noticed that people here aren't just "normal" users, and you gave me the idea to ask! I was hoping you would answer, because while reading through the threads, you seemed to know the most!

Thx!

sudyke

sudyke

Audioholic Intern
Resident Loser said:
...insofar as info is concerned, this site's FAQs and other sections have a great deal of info de-mystifying the whole A/V deal...and of course, you can simply ask questions in the forums...and remember there are NO dumb questions, only dumb answers...we all had to learn somewhere. BTW, "spl" is Sound Pressure Level, it's measured on a scale in dBs(decibels) and read by an SPL meter...most associated with room equalization and the like...simply, apparent loudness levels, threshold of hearing or threshold of pain and all things in between.

Other units in or about your price range are: Onkyo TX-SR503 @$299, Yamaha HTR-5840 @$350, Marantz SR-4500 @$359, Denon AVR-1705 @$399 and for a bit more, Harman Kardon's AVR135 @$450. All prices are MSRP and in USD...you might do better by shopping around, but be sure to purchase whatever you get from an authorized reseller. Similar units, some have more "adaptability" than others, so investigating each model, as to your requirements or potential for future growth, is certainly in order.

I have an Onkyo 2ch receiver(part of the MC35TECH package) that's seems pretty good with their WRAT technology, the Marantz units have a 3-year warranty, which is why I purchased their cassette deck...Denon is well respected, Yamaha seems to be a fave 'round these parts and HK is another popular(if pricier-for entry level) brand...and while it probably means very little in the grand scheme of things, I have an HK Citation 19 power amp that was purchased in the late 70s/early80s(sometime around there-duh!!!) that's still alive and kicking, in my stereo set-up...

jimHJJ(...good luck...)
I have read a couple of reviews and comments about Pios in other forums, and people seemed to be on the same oppinion, that Pios are very longlasting. My personal love in the Pio D814 is the MCACC, which is a lot of help in setting things up! Also, I noticed, that the specs for the Pios differ a lot in the US, as in Hungary (which is where I'm from). Could this be beacuse you use 100V and 60Hz power? Here we have 220-240 and 50Hz (or 55). Also, I noticed, that its about half the price there than here! The cheapest D814 here is 400$! :(

Thx 4 the info! :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis