Help-Switched to DVI-HDMI and no picture

K

kxn

Audiophyte
Hello,

I have no picture after replacing my component video cables with DVI-HDMI cable between my Denon DVD player and Sony TV. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Khang

K

kxn

Audiophyte
Ebough,

I have the Denon 1910 with the DVI connection and my Sonny Projection TV has HDMI (video7) connection. I installed the cable and switched to the appropriate channel but no picture.

Thanks

E

ebough

Junior Audioholic
The answer is on page 15 of your instruction manual. Remember that, for video, DVI and HDMI are synonymous. There is a small DVI button on the front panel of your unit next to the pause button. That button should have various DVI settings--you are probably set on "off" which is why you get no picture. You need to hit it sequentially until you get to 720p or 1080i whichever you prefer. I use my denon 5900 with both component connections (connected to a separate video input) and the DVI connection because my Sony HDTV locks me out of picture size adjustment (normal, full, zoom, wide zoom) when in the DVI (or HDMI) mode, but not when in component mode. So, for some DVDs, especially for home photos, I use the component hook-up so that the Sony TV doesn"t "automatically" distort my images. For Denon products, turning the DVI mode to "off" automatically switches it to component output. My main gripe with Denon is that you have to switch the DVI on or off from the front panel and not from the remote. Go figure. I guess DVI or HDMI was an afterthought for them.

Last edited:
E

ebough

Junior Audioholic
In general, for video problems, the following sight is a better forum:

HDTVoice.com

Some of the folks there are unbelievably knowledgable about complex video problems.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis