Help Setting up Equipment

P

purchase691

Audiophyte
I have the following components/equipment and they are working ok, but I believe they could work much better...

Receiver: Denon AVR4308CI
Front Speakers: Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000
Rear Speakers: Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800
Center Speaker: Definitive Technology CLR2300BLA
Subwoofer: Definitive Technology SuperCube III
Blu-ray: Samsung BD-P2550
PVR: Motorola DCH3416
Rear Projector: Sony Cineza

Sorry if this info is too generic, but I don't want to bombard anyone with details, unless they are interested.

If anyone would be willing to make suggestions, please send them my way. There are some aspects I do not fully understand, yet, especially with the center speaker, which has a built-in sub and the subwoofer itself.

Thanks in advance for your interest. Hopefully I will be able to help out in the future.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
Hate to say it since you already have them, but the receiver is overkill for the speaker set-up. You should have spent less on the receiver and more on the speakers.

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
I agree with AVRat.

Also, even though your mains may have large woofers and can be run full range, still set them to small in the receiver. Crossover points can vary, but 80Hz is a pretty safe bet to try first.

J

jamie2112

Banned
Hate to say it since you already have them, but the receiver is overkill for the speaker set-up. You should have spent less on the receiver and more on the speakers.
Sorry but the op already has this stuff. I agree that your AVR is a bit overkill for your speakers. What are you looking to do with your existing system? You aren't happy with the sound?

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
My experimentations with Def Tech.

I have the following components/equipment and they are working ok, but I believe they could work much better...

Sorry if this info is too generic, but I don't want to bombard anyone with details, unless they are interested.

If anyone would be willing to make suggestions, please send them my way. There are some aspects I do not fully understand, yet, especially with the center speaker, which has a built-in sub and the subwoofer itself.

Thanks in advance for your interest. Hopefully I will be able to help out in the future.
Welcome to the forum.

When you get some $$ i would upgrade the front speakers :rolleyes:

Right now you might get and SPL meter ( about $50 from radio shack) and equalize the sound coming from all speakers.

Normally I agree with AVRats and Midnightsensi concenring setting front speakers to "small" and letting AVR crossover ( 80-100 Hz) send the lower frequencies to the the subwoofer. However, IMHO Def Tech with subwoofers are a little different and are closer to full range than many other front speakers or centers. I have expereimented with many different settings and connections for "large' to "small" to separate "LFE" and high level speaker connections and IMHPO (In My Humble Personal Opinion) I like the sound better ( seems more alive, more billian, more dynamic) to me when I set the fornt speakers to large and have te bass going to both the subwoofer and the fonts. I set the front sub amplification to about 3/4 ( also set the center subwoofer about the same) and then I boost the subwoofer dB by 10 dB.

And concerning my first recommendation; By no means are Promonitor 1000 bad it is just you have some futuer upgrades you cna make to further improve your sound. Another future upgrade, your subwoofer. While the Supercube III is very good there are some upgrade otpins that will improve your sound level to excellent. SVS has some excelelnt solutions.

Good Luck!

MidCow2

P.S.- Put all the detail you want in your posts, audioholics are detail anal :D

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.

Room dimensions and a description of the surface materials, what % of each surface it absorptive, reflective or diffusive would help. It all matters. An idea of where your listening position is in the room and where the speakers are located, too.

P

purchase691

Audiophyte
LOL! I have had the 4308 for about a year and JUST got all of the speakers.... :eek: You guys are really going to laugh when I tell you I had the following Sony speakers
Subwoofer: SA-WMS315
Center: SS-CN315
Satellites: SS-V315

I think what I have now is one giant leap for mankind compared to those;)

I appreciate the feedback and will work with what I have now...

I will tweak the settings a bit and fool around with positions.

Also, I would like to included a picture of the back of the 4308 and the back of the sub (don't know how on this forum). Knowing what I have, would someone suggest the best connection for the sub, and possibly the Center (which has a built-in, powered 10" sub)?

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
Sub and Center connections

LOL! I have had the 4308 for about a year and JUST got all of the speakers.... :eek: You guys are really going to laugh when I tell you I had the following Sony speakers
Subwoofer: SA-WMS315
Center: SS-CN315
Satellites: SS-V315

I think what I have now is one giant leap for mankind compared to those;)

I appreciate the feedback and will work with what I have now...

I will tweak the settings a bit and fool around with positions.

Also, I would like to included a picture of the back of the 4308 and the back of the sub (don't know how on this forum). Knowing what I have, would someone suggest the best connection for the sub, and possibly the Center (which has a built-in, powered 10" sub)?
Okay, sorry Yes the Def Tech ProMonitor 1000s are good speakers. So let's go with what you have :)

You can open a free account on photobucket.com and can post the IMG ( last link on a picture) and your picture will show in this forum.

Concerning 4308 hook-up Since the sub is powered you want to connect to an AVR's the SUB preout or the LFE ( Low Frequency Effects) which is typically an RCA type plug. Specifically on the 4308 ( which by the way is a very nice AVR ;) ) Look on page 5 in area 20 where it shows the PRE-OUT conncetors and connect to the "SW" with an RCA cable. PRE-OUT is the low level preamp signal which then goes to the amplifier which provide high level output to your non-powered speakers (sorry if you already know this; not trying to dumb down).

The center speakers should be connected to the two conectors in section 5 speaker terminalks (TERMINALS).

If you want good easy conenctions, banana plugs are the way to go!. Monoprice.com is a very good source of quality, yet inexpensive cables. Here is a link to their banana plugs:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10401&cs_id=1040115&p_id=2801&seq=1&format=2

Again, I am sorry if I came across putting down your Def Tech ProMonitor 1000s. They were an excellent step up from your previous speakers.

Good Luck in getting your system to sound right.

Also mentioned by highfigh room acoustics can play havoc sometimes and room treatments can certainly help. Sometimes prior to spending money on acoustic panels, especially if you are on a tight budget, wall coverings such as pictures, especially those with matting, can improve the room acoustics.

In your case, if you haven't already done it, as a first step, I would recommend goning through the Audessy MultEQ setup on page 25 of your owner's manual. I have a simlar auto-setup on my Marantz and it works fairly well; then I increased the level manually on the sub and the rear speakers. Beyond that, if you wish to purchase a SPL (Sound Pressure Level) meter you can set the loudness even better.

By the way your manual is on line at : http://www.usa.denon.com/AVR-4308CI-OM-E_208.pdf

Good luck! and Sound on and BETTER :D,

MidCow2

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, I wasn't dissing on the speaks either, just making an observation. This is a good little system for smaller rooms, but the SC II/IIIs just don't dig low enough for a better HT experience. Everybody's expectations are different.

The nice thing about the 4308 is that it has good power and bass management to help tweak your setup. I think this will help to maximize the speakers capabilities. I would set all the speakers' sizes as small and the xovers as follows:

Front L/R - 80Hz
Center - 60Hz
Side Surrounds - 100Hz

Midcow basically has you covered for connections. But just to clarify, AVR's Sub pre-out to the Sub's LFE input. This bypasses the sub's internal xover since you only want to use the receiver's xover control.

P

purchase691

Audiophyte
Thanks! Great info. I will tweak it out some more this w/e.

P

purchase691

Audiophyte
I certainly didn't take anything personal. I really appreciate the advice and guidance from folks who really enjoy this stuff! Take care and look forward to the next post! Sincerely...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis