Help! Selecting Midrange Receiver

W

wclark212

Audiophyte
I am just a general user (Newbie) of audio/video components. I am planning to upgrade my old receiver (Kenwood VR-510) which I haven't gotten much use from it. Keeping within my midrange budget, from my observations of A/V user forums, these are receivers that appear most oftern recommended Pioneer 1015TX, Yamaha 5860, 5890, 5990, Denon 3805, 3806, Marantz 5600, Denon 1905, 06. I have narrowed it to these two; Pioneer 1015 and Yamaha HTR-5860BL
however I have not made a final decision and this is why I need your help in deciding between the two or I am open for any additional suggestions or recommendations, PLEASE!

R

rolyasm

Full Audioholic
hello WClark,
Welcome to the group.
What are your goals for this system? What speakers will you be using in your system? What is the price on both of these units you like, and what has made you narrow your search to these two units. Give us a little more info and I am sure you will get some good feedback.
Roly

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Receivers

I have the Yamaha HTR-5860 and I am happy with the purchase. You should be able to find it for less than the Pioneer. However, I would consider the Yamaha RX-V2500 and Denon 3805 to be good Mid-fi receivers and the models you listed to be a couple notches lower.

If I was to up my budget to $500, I would have bought the Yamaha RX-V1500.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Out of the two you have chosen, I would go with the Pioneer.

W

wclark212

Audiophyte
rolyasm said:
hello WClark,
Welcome to the group.
What are your goals for this system? What speakers will you be using in your system? What is the price on both of these units you like, and what has made you narrow your search to these two units. Give us a little more info and I am sure you will get some good feedback.
Roly
My use will be general; 60% movies, 20% music, and 20% General TV News etc. My speaker are old JBL. I had narrowed down to those two they appear to be well within my budget constraints and it that they both have learning backlit remotes I hope and are easy to setup.

gellor

gellor

Full Audioholic
wclark212 said:
My use will be general; 60% movies, 20% music, and 20% General TV News etc. My speaker are old JBL. I had narrowed down to those two they appear to be well within my budget constraints and it that they both have learning backlit remotes I hope and are easy to setup.
What's the $ amount on your budget? (approx.)

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Remote.

wclark212 said:
The remote for my Yamaha HTR-5860 has some universal remote capabilities (using pre-programmed codes) but it is not backlit. If you want a good universal remote, look at the lower end Harmany's.

W

wclark212

Audiophyte
I would like to get a midrange receiver within my budge; that is between $400.00-500.00.

bigbassdave

bigbassdave

Full Audioholic
Just a thought,
You can find the Harman Kardon 435 on ebay straight from the manufacturer with warrenty though it is refurbished for a great price. From 11/15/05 through 12/01/05 they have gone for as little as $404 to as much as $470 with an average price of $437.50 plus about $35 in shipping. Not bad for a receiver with an msrp of a grand. Also, if you were curious in the same time frame the 635 has gone for as little as $510 to as much as $652 averaging $591.39. Hope this helps :D

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis