HELP! quick question for speaker gurus

C

cshores

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Long story short: I have a really nice pair of Mission bookshelf speakers (751's), and I messed them up. I think it may be b/c I hooked them up to a turned-on amp, but I do not know. Now, all I get from them is a very weak signal -- very, very trebly whisper. Or, if hooked up through the low-end inputs (they are bi-wireable) a very weak, muffled signal.

Are they salvageable? Are the 'voice-coils' fried? If so, are they now garbage or can they be fixed? Sending them back to the manufacturerer is not an option (made in England).

ANY info would be appreciated. There is absolutely no visible damage. They were definitely not blown due to volume. After hooking them up, they worked for about 3-4 seconds, then just cut out. Both of them - the same story.

Hope someone can give me some info -- please!! I LOVED these speakers, would pay up to $200 or so to fix them. They retailed for $800.

Thanks.</font>

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
<font color='#000000'>Hi
It sounds like something in the crossover may have been damaged &nbsp;you can check the woofer for miss alighnment
or damage by pressing gently inward on the woofer
with you thumbs about 1/2&quot; in from the surround
if you hear a dragging or scratching noise or it makes a sound like a tin can with rocks in it then it is damaged or missalighned If this is the case you may be better off
with new speakers you can find severall manufactures today that can surpass the performance of the Missions for less than 1/2 the money of the Missions. Just a few years ago this would not have been true
Good Luck</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Hello, I concur with RLA. When you hooked speakers up to amp that was on (was volume turned up also?), you caused a current surge and spike to run through the speakers electrical system. The only way to know what went wrong is internal exploration. In the good old days before hifi got too technical and touchy-feely most speakers actually were fused. Alas one can spend thousands of dollars on speakers today with nary any such protection in sight. I think at least a resistor or two has fried in the crossover which may be limiting signal to your drivers, that is if your driver's voice coils didn't fry faster than the resistors (quite commonly happens). Good luck.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis